Honored Contributor

Re: Another option besides Amazon?

What I get back in point credits pays for my membership.

Best part is if I want a single item that costs $5 I get it in a day or two and no shipping charges.

I also have dozens of books that haven't cost me a penny.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

When we first had Amazon Prime we paid $79 a year, currently we pay $14.99 monthly or $179.88 a year. I would not subscribe, but dh wants it.

If you subscribe for the full year at once  it's $139.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

The cost of being an Amazon member has sky rocketed!  What are some other options?  Any that offer free shipping on ANY and ALL orders?  And any that carry as many products as Amazon?  TIA

@spent2much 

I use Ebay for most things because individual sellers can offer free shipping if that's your thing.  Sometimes paying shipping with a lower-priced item means you pay less tax on that item.  

I never liked Amazon and always having to order enough to meet the free shipping threshhold.  No, their prime doesn't interest me in the least. 

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous that ANY retailer would dare charge customers money just to shop with them!  I should pay money so I can spend money?   How stupid is that?  

JMO, of course.  

Well, I do pay for Costco and BJs memberships which are also very worth it for us.   I don't look at Amazon like that anyway.  As @Kachina624 stated above, it's for the free same day, overnight or 1-2 day shipping that makes it valuable to us.  

We buy cat litter and large bags of cat and dog food through Amazon subscribe and save which is fantastic.  We also get pet supplies from Chewy, but for the specific litter and dry food we use, Amazon is cheaper and much quicker. 

We also watch shows on Prime all the time, I use the Prime Music streaming and I love the discounts at Whole Foods.  
So we're not paying for the privilege to shop somewhere.  The number of perks included are great. 

Respected Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

if i look at it solely for the free shipping AND free returns

$139 + tax per yr = $11.58 + tax per month

averaging 13 orders per month

= 89 cents per order

easy win for me

now factor in the other services included......wow!

i also have walmart.  mostly for the free anything / anytime grocery delivery.   i get a couple shipped items from them a month.   always price shop everything.  

~~today may be my last.....i choose JOY!~~
Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Target & Wal-Mart. Pretty sure they both have free shipping on $35. Today it's easy to spend that.

Prime TV alone for streaming is $8.99 per month or $107.88 per year. That's included with Prime.

Just received a package today that took 4 days. It's supposed to be be 2 day shipping but that doesn't always happen. 

I don't like that Amazon doesn't want to refund money on food. When I receive something that is open or damaged, almost out of date I want a refund? 

We also don't have Whole Foods or Amazon stores so don't get those benefits.

I have never had an issue getting a refund on damaged food products from Amazon. Most food, candy, etc are from 3rd parties, but I chat with a rep and have never been turned down for a replacement or refund.  It's only happened 3-4 times in years, but have never had an issue.  

Honored Contributor

My daughter and I split the cost of a prime membership

Honored Contributor

I dont have Prime, I buy more from Ebay than amazon. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm another one with Prime and with Amazon from almost the beggining.  Amazon started out as a online book store  I  agree that it is unique.  There isn't a business out there like Amazon.  An extra plus is the speed I receive with the products.  Lucky that we have somewhere in out state, a warehouse.  Some items arrive seemingly faster than you can think about it. Great customer service too.  75% percent is ordered and delivered the same day.

Respected Contributor

Never bought a single thing from Amazon, I use the Walmart website, get free shipping with a $35. purchase, no Walmart membership needed. I also buy from other retailers & get FS too.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like everyone is in a rush to get their items!  I don't need items that quickly I plan ahead.