Honored Contributor

Another new baby born to Orca Jpod

[ Edited ]

Another new baby has been born to J41.  Her name is Eclipse.  The new baby Orca hasn't got a name yet.  I think that brings up the population to around 76 (at least) This is the mother's second baby.  These are Resident Orcas that stay in the same area and live on salmon in the Pacific Northwest.  Earlier I had posted about a new baby born to the mother that lost and carried her infant, unwilling to let it go. That baby is thriving.  I think one other Orca is pregnant.  Good news all around. But better news if the new baby survives.  Some lucky whale watchers in a nearby boat saw the event.   The baby's little dorsal fin is straight.  So chances good it's a male.  This baby will never leave it's mother's side

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Another new baby born to Orca Jpod

I live in Wa state on the western side so we are kept up to date about the local J-pod---always a happy sight when orcas have babies---have been near them in the water once--OMG!!! they are big!!!!

Respected Contributor

ORCAS - DOLPHINS IN TUXES!

True story - they're dolphin's cousins.

I love them, and believe they - along with Dolphins DO NOT BELONG in ENTERTAINMENT such as despicable places like Sea World

Honored Contributor

Yes.  Orcas are dolphins.  The biggest of the dolphins.  They behave like dolphins. They got the name killer whales because they do go after whales.  Even blue whales.  They're that fearless.  Most marine animals are afraid of them.  So they are left alone while giving birth, sleeping, etc. They are top predators like humans, so they sleep on the water for long periods (8 hours at a time & take naps) They are aggressive (their smaller dolphin cousins are just as aggressive)   but they leave people alone. Dolphins don't attack or eat people.

The three main groups of Orcas are Resident, Transient (they're the ones that kill marine mammals) and offshore.  The U.S. sees mostly resident and transients. The populations of the Transients and Offshore are healthy.  Only the Resident Orcas are in trouble.  They eat mainly salmon.  The great tasting fish everyone wants.  But parasites & over fishing has threatened the Orcas.  I don't know how much the government of Washington State is committed to saving them.  Hope they are anyway.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Yes.  Orcas are dolphins.  The biggest of the dolphins.  They behave like dolphins. They got the name killer whales because they do go after whales.  Even blue whales.  They're that fearless.  Most marine animals are afraid of them.  So they are left alone while giving birth, sleeping, etc. They are top predators like humans, so they sleep on the water for long periods (8 hours at a time & take naps) They are aggressive (their smaller dolphin cousins are just as aggressive)   but they leave people alone. Dolphins don't attack or eat people.

The three main groups of Orcas are Resident, Transient (they're the ones that kill marine mammals) and offshore.  The U.S. sees mostly resident and transients. The populations of the Transients and Offshore are healthy.  Only the Resident Orcas are in trouble.  They eat mainly salmon.  The great tasting fish everyone wants.  But parasites & over fishing has threatened the Orcas.  I don't know how much the government of Washington State is committed to saving them.  Hope they are anyway.

you're a Librarian? do a little research instead of coming on here not knowing and "hoping"  WA State is committed to the Orca population!  i assure you, yes they are all over this!!

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

ORCAS - DOLPHINS IN TUXES!

True story - they're dolphin's cousins.

I love them, and believe they - along with Dolphins DO NOT BELONG in ENTERTAINMENT such as despicable places like Sea World

@MoonieBaby @Yes....zoos are also despicable places..... animals do not deserve to be on display for human entertainment 😡