Respected Contributor

Re: Another mother in trouble with law for allowing 7 year old to go to park alone

It doesn't say much about society that a kid isn't even safe walking to a neighborhood park. But, you have to wonder if the world has actually become that unsafe or if we've become a neurotic society.

Respected Contributor

Re: Another mother in trouble with law for allowing 7 year old to go to park alone

We could save money, and fear, by dismantling parks.

Super Contributor

On 7/29/2014 ROMARY said:

I'm thinking that a $200 fine and a stiff warning (in writing), signature required, would be more fair. Some parents obviously don't think that there's anything wrong. Some areas could be fairly dangerous (perhaps peds. frequent those parks, etc.).

She said she still doesn't think there is anything wrong - even after the police told her about pedophiles nearby.

I agree a felony is probably too severe, but what should happen?

Just let her do what she wants and if the kid is harmed, well gee she was warned after all.

Honored Contributor

Some states break it down by levels too-

Level 1- registers for 15 years

Level 2- registers for 25 years

Level 3- registers for LIFE

Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 traveler said:

We could save money, and fear, by dismantling parks.

Urban designers have already changed that. Parks are designed to be more open then before. The newer parks are more open. Fewer trees and shrubbery. People can't conceal themselves as they did in the past.

Respected Contributor

At the end of the article, the mother says she plans to fight the felony charge.

But she also says she won't let him go to the park alone anymore. "I'm afraid I'll be arrested."

So the experience must have worked.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Very true, Dagna........Well, hopefully, after being arrested, she won't let him walk alone again. The problem/(or not) with arresting folks, is that it's in the news and possibly could end up in litigation..........Well, further thinking about it, maybe it will be a warning to other parents. I'm 'wishy-washy' on this incident............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

A 7 year old shouldn't be allowed to walk a half mile alone, anywhere for any reason. Doesn't that clueless, lazy excuse for a mother read the newspapers???? And the park. I have no doubt that parks and playgrounds are hunting grounds for pedophiles. I suppose clueless doesn't know that either. Or doesn't care. One would think that she'd be too embarrassed and ashamed to go public with her story.

Respected Contributor

On 7/29/2014 ROMARY said:

Very true, Dagna........Well, hopefully, after being arrested, she won't let him walk alone again. The problem/(or not) with arresting folks, is that it's in the news and possibly could end up in litigation..........Well, further thinking about it, maybe it will be a warning to other parents. I'm 'wishy-washy' on this incident............

Did you read to the end of the WPTV interview?...My post 47.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 kdgn said:
On 7/29/2014 sidsmom said:
On 7/29/2014 tansy said: Arresting her seems over the top. Why not bring the boy home and warn the mother?

Because she'll do it again. And again. And again. And there's a greater than zero chance it will end w/ very undesirable result. And she stated she was "bewildered"...just shows that she doesn't 'get it'. Can't teach stupid. I applaud the police for protecting the innocent.

And you know all these things about the mother because??

Because she already has a pattern:

1. Past: She's done this before...so much she felt "comfortable".

2. Current: The police found the child.

3. Future: "I'm bewildered" translates she'll do it again.

If there was some remorse, I might give her a pass for the future point, but....stats aren't in her favor. The child is innocent...and the police were just doing their job.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure