Honored Contributor

Re: Another day, another mass shooting

Not much mention on TV yesterday, although I did hear it mentioned on the radio twice during the night.  (I don't have cable, so maybe that's why?)  I'm going to check Daily Mail UK today.  All in all, very tragic (again).  Prayers to the injured for complete recoveries, and to the families of the fatalities.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Yes,  it's a societal problem, but, it's not about not believing in god, as someone mentioned.  The reality is, most of the murders you read about are not committed by atheists and agnostics. Many mass murders are committed in the name of god (whatever /whoever the murderers believe that to be). Most were raised with religion. 

Regarding legal/illegal weapons- many are purchased legally and brought, illegally, over borders and used in other states. Some are bought legally and used, illegally, by someone other than the owner. 

It's complicated. Upbringing, access to weapons, drugs, becoming inured....all the things others have said. 

Also, copycatting. It's sickening. 

We have a rash of slashings going on in NYC right now.  It started with one months ago and, now, it's an everyday occurrence- multiple slashings per day. It's not slowing down. It's building momentum. 

Some of the slashers did it as retaliation, some are mentally ill,  some are doing it for the thrill of it.

It's the thrill-of-it and retaliation ones that are jumping on the bandwagon. A segment of this country/society has lost all regard for life. I know it sounds simplistic and cliche, but, families AND government have to respect life (I'm not getting into a pro-life/pro-choice discussion here) and show and teach that value.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Maudelynn@goldensrbest It was a shooting but not mass in my opinion.  It is just as wrong if it were one.  I think it is a gross exagerration on the part of the media.  My take, my opinion. 

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A mass murder is legally defined as 3 or more. The same goes for shootings. And in  this case 14 were shot and 3 more were killed.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Yes.....I carry, and legally.

@KingstonsMom

Me 2.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

As long as this is excepted, by those that do not want tougher laws, it will go on,beyond understanding!!

@goldensrbest

Word for word, what exactly would that law have to say? What would it require me, a law abiding citizen, have to do/pass to be able to protect myself and my wife. Also, would it cost me in dollars?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

As long as this is excepted, by those that do not want tougher laws, it will go on,beyond understanding!!

@goldensrbest

Word for word, what exactly would that law have to say? What would it require me, a law abiding citizen, have to do/pass to be able to protect myself and my wife. Also, would it cost me in dollars?

hckynut(john)

We only want tougher laws, i think saving lives, sure beatsall these killings, as far as i am concerned you and others can give,to save lives.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't believe a full out ban on all guns will ever happen/work. So, I would like to know what, exactly, those that want gun control put into place actually want.

My state:

*Attend  6 weeks (2 nights a week for 3 hours each night) of gun education class and then pass a test

*Pass a gun shooting class

*Apply for gun licence including being fingerprinted (wait 2 weeks to get licence ONCE background check is completed).

*FBI background check (1 month plus)

*Place deposit on gun (you can not buy and walk out. You put a deposit and then come back 48 hours after another background check is run to see if you have any warrants, crimes/arrests, etc SINCE receiving your licence).

IF you complete all of these steps with no hitch, you THEN may buy a gun costing around $800 (average gun price). Haven't even mentioned the cost of ammo and that's IF you can even find the right caliber.

Is that enough steps or do you want more to go into place and if so, what?

Esteemed Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

The OP correctly labeled the tragic incident as a mass shooting. That applies when a number of people are involved. The term is not an exaggeration.

Not in my opinion.  It was a shooting incident which left people dead or it will be labeled workplace violence.  Not downplaying it - just correctly identifying it.  The explanation WAS exaggerated.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

I am sad that my grandchildren have to grow up in this dangerous world--when did things change from when I grew up......such a simpler life.....such a safer world to live in.......IMHO....

It is nostalgic to believe that the world we grew up in was idyllic but I think we just like to look back and believe that was the case when it really wasn't.  I grew up in the 50's and 60's and we had the cold war and related threats of nuclear war. Anyone remember getting under your desk to practice "saving ourselves" during a nuclear  attack. We had the threat that the communists were trying to take over the world.  We had Vietnam.  We had Charles Whitman killing people from the tower at the Univ of Texas. We had the assasinations of John and Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, & attemped assasination of George Wallace.  There were multiple prominent serial killers during those times and into the 70's too some were found and some never were.  There were multiple plane hijackings.  Personally I think it is a myth that there was a safer world at any time during history.  

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@sallybusky wrote:

The OP correctly labeled the tragic incident as a mass shooting. That applies when a number of people are involved. The term is not an exaggeration.

Not in my opinion.  It was a shooting incident which left people dead or it will be labeled workplace violence.  Not downplaying it - just correctly identifying it.  The explanation WAS exaggerated.

Technically the FBI would classify this as a 'mass'.

The media would classify it as 'workplace violence'...more of a what/where.