Honored Contributor

Re: Another collision involving a US Naval ship!

@Sooner wrote:

Are we assuming it is the US ship's fault or has that been verified?

@Sooner  It's too soon to assign responsibility but it really doesn't matter.  If a collision is eminent, even if caused by another ship, evasive action should be taken to avoid it.   They have a ton of observers and electronic instrumentation to avoid such calamities but crew has to be awake and attentive to them.  The captain is ultimately responsible. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner  It's too soon to assign responsibility but it really doesn't matter.  If a collision is eminent, even if caused by another ship, evasive action should be taken to avoid it.   They have a ton of observers and electronic instrumentation to avoid such calamities but crew has to be awake and attentive to them.  The captain is ultimately responsible. 

Well,  I'm certainly not jumping to conclusions about things like this.  Sometimes situations aren't as simply as that.  Ships navigate a lot of what other ships are expected to do.  It's isn't like these things stop on a dime.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Well,  I'm certainly not jumping to conclusions about things like this.  Sometimes situations aren't as simply as that.  Ships navigate a lot of what other ships are expected to do.  It's isn't like these things stop on a dime.

Me neither, and for the record, we can't or shouldn't assume everyone was asleep.

Respected Contributor

prayers up.  and let's wait for details - although for the last one involving U S S Fitzgerald all we really know is that the ship's captain and exec crew were relieved of duty due to serious mistakes.  i did hear it reported that they stopped an instruction program of ship driving etc a few years back  but i know no details  we'll see if there are changes made.

Honored Contributor

Image result for sending prayers pics

Esteemed Contributor

It is a tragedy in that people are trapped and drowned. It may be an anomaly, but how many other times has this happened in the history of the navy? Seems odd that there have been two in a short period of time and they were both avoidable and not in combat.

Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Kachina624So many strange things happening..Military helicopters falling out of the sky and our naval ships having multiple collisions. Could it be that 

a) we have been infiltrated by the enemy

b) our armed forces are no longer the brightest and best in the world

How terribly embarrassing for the US.

How could this be happening???  

Or perhaps our military makes up 1% of the population but must bear responsibility for our entire security in a myriad of places, spreading themselves thin and over worked.

Esteemed Contributor

A ship is captained or piloted, NOT driven.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if the instruments have been hacked?  Two of these incidents happening with ships and so many other military problems.... I am wondering if the computers are not secure??

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

It is a tragedy in that people are trapped and drowned. It may be an anomaly, but how many other times has this happened in the history of the navy? Seems odd that there have been two in a short period of time and they were both avoidable and not in combat.

actually, isnt it strange that FOUR navy warships have been involved in accidents during 2017......and all in asia?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein