Honored Contributor

Re: Another baby dies in a Car

Those past, baby onboard, signs could be resurrected and one placed in the driver's door window when a child is on board.  Maybe, on their cell phone would garner more attention.

Honored Contributor

This is so very sad!  I just don't remember ever hearing about this when I was raising my kids back in the 80s or 90s.  I wonder when this became more common?....we seem to hear about multiple tragic deaths every summer now.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

When 99.9 percent of parents, grandparents, nannies...can remember to remove a child from the backseat, why should we all pay more for unwanted, unnecessary child alerts in our cars or higher insurance rates to compensate for giving parents a discount for after market child alerts. People protect what they value, people remember those they love. 

@occasionalrain 

👍

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Our newest vehicle has the back seat alarm and the dash readout says to check back seat.  I guess it would totally be ignored after a while by some.  Its a pick up and we never have the grandkids in it.  I'm always totally aware (like a crazy woman) when I have grandchildren with me.  Doesn't matter if it's a quick trip to the store or an hours long road trip.

But I've seen parents open the back doors and let little kids climb in and hook themselves up in the car seats.  The parents don't even bother to check, they're already getting in the front seats.  A car seat is as good as it's belted in and affixed.  I've seen kids still climbing around to the seats and the vehicle is already moving.

Once a mother started backing out of her parking spot with a little girl standing outside the car.  I laid on my horn so the mother would stop.  I was afraid the mother was going to turn the wheel and hit the girl.  The mother didn't pay attention to who all had or hadn't gotten in the car.  This was at a park.  I was glared at.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

When 99.9 percent of parents, grandparents, nannies...can remember to remove a child from the backseat, why should we all pay more for unwanted, unnecessary child alerts in our cars or higher insurance rates to compensate for giving parents a discount for after market child alerts. People protect what they value, people remember those they love. 

I would think the reason is obvious. To save babies lives?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

This is so very sad!  I just don't remember ever hearing about this when I was raising my kids back in the 80s or 90s.  I wonder when this became more common?....we seem to hear about multiple tragic deaths every summer now.

@haddon9 The phenomenon is attributed to the mandate to place babied in rear-facing car seats in the back seat of the car. It occurs most often when a parent is transporting a child in a novel situation, for exeample a dad dropping a baby off to childcare before work when that's not part of his normal routine.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9 The phenomenon is attributed to the mandate to place babied in rear-facing car seats in the back seat of the car. It occurs most often when a parent is transporting a child in a novel situation, for exeample a dad dropping a baby off to childcare before work when that's not part of his normal routine.

@Love to Run   This is true.  I had forgotten about that rule.  When my kids were babies I had them in their car seats in the back seat but facing forward and I could see their cute faces in my rear view mirror.