Trusted Contributor

Re: Another baby dies in a Car

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@elated wrote:

I don't understand why the child's mother allowed the father to take her son. She knew he was suicidal. What is wrong with people. If you want to take your life, don't take some innocent person with you. Where is common sense or humanity!!!

We don't know when the suicidal statements were made. they could have been made after the father found the child dead. He could have been so overcome with grief from losing the child and felt such guilt that he killed himself.

@gardenman 

That's what I read on a news report, I'll have to look for it.

The father was supposed to drop his son off at daycare, something he usually didn't do, and drove on to work instead.

It wasn't until the mother called that the child wasn't in daycare, that he realized what he'd done and suicidal statements were made.

@KingstonsMom This is heartbreaking. I don't know why anyone would jump to "murder/suicide". It was a tragic accident.

He did in fact murder his child by leaving it in the hot car.  He did in fact commit suicide as a result.  How hard is that to understand? @Love to Run 

@gertrudecloset Murder is defined as "the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another." That is not hard for me to understand at all.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Always been plenty of unbalanced dumb people out there. Many of them are parents. Lots of survivors out there who could have easily been killed by a parent at many points in their childhood.

I'm looking forward to new initiatives to save the lives of these children from dying at the hands of their parents.

What does everyone want to do to fix this? Good intentions can't beat human stupidity, distraction, and temporary emotional problems.

If a bad parent were capable of thinking ahead to weigh possible jailing for manslaughter or murder, they wouldn't be the kind of person who could leave their child in a hot car to begin with. They'd be smart, not stupid. Careful, not careless. The response must be proactive, not after the fact when it's too late and yet another baby is dead.

@Porcelain   Smart post!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In this particular case perhaps there's more to it....perhaps arguing or feuding parents....or ex-spouses...or mental illness...or all 3.....and forgetting a child when the designated task was taking a child to a day care....hmmmmm!!!!

I really think this situation should be considered a crime!!!! And when they start throwing people in jail for what it is---MANSLAUGHTER then maybe people will get their "memories" back!!!!...

I mean when these people went on their car trip they had to strap the child into a car seat.....and when they reached their destination they completely forgot all about the child!!!!!!  ---COME ON!!!---How strange the child in the back seat is completely FORGOTTEN?!?!?. Are these "parents" coming down with cases of dimentia or what!!!!...Cars dont need buzzers and people dont need to leave a phone or purse in the backseat to remember they had a child there!!! ..ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!..😡🤬

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

I, too, am at a loss for words except for the question--what is the difficulty of parents being responsible enou gh to pay attention?  No excuse for this kind of irresponsibility/neglect!

Murder/suicide or neglect/guilt--what is the difference, irresponsibility created this tragedy!

@ScarletDove 

download (2).jpg

As you said so well it's a total lack of responsibility thats what it is!!!!.....And these people that excuse them for being stressed, sleep deprived, so many things on their mind the "poor dear parents".....🙄 Gee, I wonder how they even remember to feed and bathe their children each and every day (SARCASM) But I bet they remember the next movie they will binge watch that night....or the latest social media post they read..sending a text to a friend...or the lyrics to their favorite song....but no they wont remember "the kid".....SMH!  LACK OF RESPONSIBILTY!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@elated wrote:

I don't understand why the child's mother allowed the father to take her son. She knew he was suicidal. What is wrong with people. If you want to take your life, don't take some innocent person with you. Where is common sense or humanity!!!

We don't know when the suicidal statements were made. they could have been made after the father found the child dead. He could have been so overcome with grief from losing the child and felt such guilt that he killed himself.

If you read the third paragraph @gertrudecloset , the mother and family indicated that he had been making suicidal statements. I feel sorry for the baby that was left to die in the car. We have lost common sense.

@elated 

beamscott-300x227.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@elated wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@elated wrote:

If you read the third paragraph @gertrudecloset , the mother and family indicated that he had been making suicidal statements. I feel sorry for the baby that was left to die in the car. We have lost common sense.

@elated 

beamscott-300x227.jpg

@Spurt   Again, there is nothing to indicate the father had made suicidal remarks BEFORE the death of this baby.

There is no history of mental illness and talk of suicide BEFORE the death of this baby.

He found his child, took the child back into the house-indicating grief and care.  Perhaps to revive him.  THEN he made the suicidal remarks and killed himself.

I do not know why this is such a difficult concept.

@elatedwas practically blaming the mother for handing over the child to a father who made suicidal remarks.

That is not the timeline of this tragedy and such a remark puts the blame on the mother.

The police were notifed about the baby being left in the car and possibly in trouble THEN they learned he was talking suicide AFTER he found his son deceased.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Maybe smart carseats? A carseat with weight and temperature sensors built in.

So when the carseat is occupied (which would be detected via the weight sensor), if the temperature sensor detects that the temp has been at a dangerous level for a given amount of time, it sends a message to both the parent and an emergency service.

And give people a huge benefit vs penalty with their insurance to encourage using the seats.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I just read over the weekend that the guy who took his kid to work, left him in the car all day, had a girlfriend on the side and was convicted had his sentence overturned. Can't remember his name.

Honored Contributor

When 99.9 percent of parents, grandparents, nannies...can remember to remove a child from the backseat, why should we all pay more for unwanted, unnecessary child alerts in our cars or higher insurance rates to compensate for giving parents a discount for after market child alerts. People protect what they value, people remember those they love. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

When 99.9 percent of parents, grandparents, nannies...can remember to remove a child from the backseat, why should we all pay more for unwanted, unnecessary child alerts in our cars or higher insurance rates to compensate for giving parents a discount for after market child alerts. People protect what they value, people remember those they love. 

@occasionalrain   I would think the alerts would be optional in any car you purchase.

Just like upgrades to stereo systems, sun roofs, etc.

I have no idea which insurance companies give discounts for child alerts but you can get discounts for low mileage, having and using a garage at home (cuts down on burglary costs and weather damage) and driving history.

So if those discounts can be used, I see nothing wrong with giving discounts for child alerts which, again, are most likely an option when purchasing a vehicle.

Money is not the issue; saving lives is and while I agree parents/caregivers should take care of these little ones, sometimes these tragedies happen.

It really is not taking anything away from us.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh