Regular Contributor

Re: Another Wedding Gift Experience

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Miss Shelly - can you explain to me what exactly a Jack & Jill is?  I've heard different explanations and I'm still confused!

As far as I know, it's not a NJ/NY thing.  The last two showers I went to were regular bridal showers.

A Jack and Jill shower includes both the Bride and Groom  and guests of any sex attend.  Seems to be a newer trend and I'm onboard with the idea.  It will be fun, relaxing afternoon with good friends/family.  

Honored Contributor

We went to a wedding for the daughter of our good friends. I purchased a Cuisinart Griddler from her registry. I later noticed that she had requested more than one. Somehow I learned that her mother was the recipient of a new Griddler. I don't know how common that practice is.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think few couples open gifts at the reception anymore. The last few we have attended had a tree or a box for cards (aka checks or money) at the sign-in book table.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I love it all.  If you take a gift to the wedding and leave it on a table, the giver doesn't have the pleasure of seeing theit faces when they open it. 

At least they know at a time when they can enjoy it slightly more.

Honored Contributor

My friend's daughter received several gifts that were not on her registry...a beautiful Waterford bowl, among other things. She returned everything if it wasn't on her registry. She said " I choose what I want". I pity her new husband.
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I thought I read that it is best to mail the gift or take it to the bride's home (if possible) before the wedding.

That way, the couple or family don't have to haul any gifts home.  I thought it made sense and normally have the gift sent directly to the bride or couple.

However, I've been surprised to read some of the gift-giving shananigans that go on nowadays.

It's all too much for this old dinosaur. 

Like I said someplace, I was happy to get a stand mixer when I married. 

Honored Contributor

@shoptheQ wrote:

This was a new one for me: bride & groom quit their jobs and after wedding will take a year to travel the world. Their on-line registry described various tours on their agenda (i.e. African Safari) and asked guests to pick a tour and donate money. 

That's just unreal. Who would want to subsidize that? If they quit their jobs to do charity work, something to benefit others..and wanted donations to the charity and/or their living expenses that would be nice. 

As long as there are tonedeaf selfish people and people willing to subsidize that, these requests will continue. 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
My friend's daughter received several gifts that were not on her registry...a beautiful Waterford bowl, among other things. She returned everything if it wasn't on her registry. She said " I choose what I want". I pity her new husband.

That's just awful behavior on her part.  Someone took the time to give them a gift.  How ungrateful.  She doesn't deserve anything.

Honored Contributor

No, I haven't seen that but I don't have a problem with it.  i like the idea.  Couples don't want "surprise" wedding gifts and gifts are expensive so guest wants to suprise a couple with something that ends up in someone's basement or gets re-gifted to someone else.  We give money or we give them something on their registry.   When they get that notification and see the gift....they ARE opening that gift.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The bride/groom does everything they can to make their

experience as enjoyable for their guests.

It’s an unspoken tradition the guests gift the bride/groom...

lots of angst what to give someone so the heavens created “The Gift Registry.”

Why, in heaven’s name, would someone go ‘off script?’

It’s almost disrespecting the Groom/Bride...creating more issues

and work on their part.  If one doesn’t like the Registry, just don’t 

purchase a gift. Sometimes, nothing is better.

Guest (beaming with pride):

”I spent my life’s savings for this occasion.

To the young couple (living in a 300sqft urban apartment),

I gift you this....John Deere Tractor.”

Couple:

(looking at each other w/

‘What the heck are we supposed to do with this? look’)

Silly narrative, but sometimes that unwanted gift feels as out of place 

as a John Deere Tractor.  That Waterford crystal is something the 

couple would never, ever purchase or have in their lives.

Good for them for having a vision to be happy with their life, 

and not by someone’s else’s terms.