Honored Contributor

Another Wedding Gift Experience

I am thrilled to be attending this wedding - we love both the bride and groom, and we've known the groom for a long time.

But their registry was unlike any other I've seen so far. It included items with pictures from different sites. When you clicked on the picture, it took you directly to the site. No problem there. But after the gift was purchased a little banner popped up that said "Thank you. Jack and Jill have been notified of your gift." So much for a surprise.

I have no problem getting something off the registry, but I do have a problem with the bride and groom knowing exactly who gave what gift BEFORE they open it. 

Have any of you ever seen anything like this? Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

Re: Another Wedding Gift Experience

Yes, I’ve seen a registry like that. My nephew got married a couple of years ago and it was a bit confusing at first since I was looking for something specific that they wanted. 

I think a lot of young people are doing this now to make it easier on gift giving. 

Honored Contributor

I think I like that idea.

I like knowing that they know what and who right away.

They will know anyway and this way, I'm sure they will receive it,

And for those who take a long time to send thank yous or never do, at least I'll know they will get it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I can see an advantage to it. They can do their thank yous as they are chosen rather than all at once after the wedding and there's no confusion as to who gave what. The only issue is the senders changing their mind, perhaps deciding on something other or maybe being asked to go together on a larger group gift. Too late for that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Next thing you know, they'll put a spin on the computer response to serve as a thank you note, absolving Jack and Jill of having to perform that boring chore.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom - I do know the bride and/or groom can check the registry once it's been made public to see what's been bought and who bought it.

Honored Contributor

Don't you think they were notified to expect a gift coming and NOT what exactly what the gift is?? I think its a great idea. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to surprise them, cancel what you got already, and go to another store and buy them something else.  That should give you the "surprise" you're after.  

They know you love them and will be happy with whatever you give them.

Valued Contributor

This was a new one for me: bride & groom quit their jobs and after wedding will take a year to travel the world. Their on-line registry described various tours on their agenda (i.e. African Safari) and asked guests to pick a tour and donate money. 

Honored Contributor

@shoptheQ wrote:

This was a new one for me: bride & groom quit their jobs and after wedding will take a year to travel the world. Their on-line registry described various tours on their agenda (i.e. African Safari) and asked guests to pick a tour and donate money. 

Nice they both can afford to quit their jobs. Reality will hit when they come home. (unless they are wealthy or their family is) Tacky registry. I would not donate to their traveling around the world, for a year.