Esteemed Contributor

Another Subaru Question. CrossTrek or Forester opinions wanted

Thanks to @JeanLouiseFinch who started a Forrester thread a few weeks back. I have decided to move up my purchase of a new car to this year. My current car is a Nissan Altima with 204,000 miles on it. I have had it since 2013 and yes I am the original owner. 

I found an old thread dating back to 2017 for the Crosstrek and of course I have the more recent thread of people who love their Foresters to view.

I do understand that I  will of course have to test drive both vehicles, but I am torn between these two models. Anyone that has owned both or prefer one over the other?

Super Contributor

Re: Another Subaru Question. CrossTrek or Forester opinions wanted

[ Edited ]

Daughter has a Forester and she loves it! I can take it or leave it. It just seems so blah to me. It isn't top of the line more mid-range I think. I think it rides like a tank!  Bumpy and frumpy! But that is probably just me!

However I had a friend with an Outback and I really liked it. Drove very well and seemed very comfy!

Frequent Contributor

Price drove us. Outback is a lot of money. We’re retired and have a Forrester. For our needs it’s perfect. We don’t drive long distances. Easy to get in and out. Great for all the errands.
Honored Contributor

@icezeus - Same as @chessielady . DD has a 2019 Forester Limited. She absolutely loves it. I've ridden in it a lot, and it's one of the most comfortable SUV's I've been in. DH drives a Mazda CX-5, and it is less comfortable. 

DS bought his first car last February - a Crosstrek! Obviously it's smaller and seems like you're not sitting up as high. I was in it only once. He loves his car, and his purposes it is great. He lives and works in a big city. 

Good luck with your decision!    Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I've been considering the Crosstrek, too. I have to say I'm mostly drawn to the visual appeal. I like it has a more sporty, youthful look, over the Forester which, to me, seems old style, humdrum.

But, I know several people who have the Foresters, including a couple of neighbors and they love them. No complaints, or regrets voiced. 

Almost every Subaru owner I've known says they would purchase again. It seems Subaru owners become quite loyal. So I think you can't go wrong with either model. Just pick the one that has the features you need and that speaks to you. 

Honored Contributor

I would say buy the one that really speaks to you.  You  are likely to have it a long, long time.

My 18 year old granddaughter is the proud owner of a 1995 Outback legacy.  It has been passed down through several family members and still is in top shape inside and out and mechanically runs well. She loves it.

Contributor

I originally drove the Forester but thought it was too big for me. Also, had it in white which I hated. I now drive the Crosstrek & am very happy with it. I leased my two crosstreks but this year I am buying it. Have it in the Cool Grey  khaki color which is a nice blue color. My son in law is a Subaru salesman but with the car situation nowadays, to lease again would balloon my payments, so going to buy. Only have 6,000 miles on it & have had it 3 years.

Respected Contributor

@icezeus   i had a Forester i loved for many years, now a 2014 Crosstek.  Very reliable, but i likely would not get another Crosstrek. Even though the newer models are bit more roomy.

1. Road Noise. unless they fixed this, it's always there. gets annoying on the highway. 

2. Sits too low for me.  Also  have to pry myself out of the door. and i'm only 5'3.

3. Cabin too small. It's just cramped inside. With a passenger on board my handbag has to go in the back. 

4. Visibility. The front windshield pillars are thick and positioned awkwardly.

5. Maybe the back-up camera has improved. these cars are very compact and require a very good backup camera. Mine gets fogged up.

Respected Contributor

After I test drove a couple different Subarus, I got a Toyota Camry.  Love it, to me so much nicer.

Respected Contributor

Have ridden in and driven a Forester and ridden in a Crosstrek.  Didn't end up buying the Forester, NOT a comfortable ride and I'm getting older.   They may have improved the newer ones, I don't know.   Crosstrek does seem smaller, but more comfortable. 
The only Subaru I would buy is an Outback - loved it on the test drive.

However, to make a long story short I ended up buying a Toyota Camry, which I love! 😁