Respected Contributor

Re: Another Subaru Question. CrossTrek or Forester opinions wanted

@icezeus wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

When I bought my 2017 Forester in 2016, I used Costco's car buying service & it was my easiest & most stress free car buying experience I've ever had.  The Costco service doesn't deal with all dealers, but they can tell you the ones they do.  There's only one Subaru dealer here in Tucson, though, so it wasn't an issue that concerned me.  Both Costco & the dealer couldn't have been nicer & easier to deal with & there was no pressure & the saleslady at the dealer was just awesome.

ETA: Plus, Costco gave me a $1500 Costco Gift Card to spend for using their service, too.

@aubnwa01 

Thank you for the additional information on purchasing through Costco. I knew two people years ago that used Costco to purchase their vehicles and both of them had a good experience. 

@icezeus  The lady that I dealt with at Costco said only certain salesfolks at the dealership were trained & authorized to handle the Costco Buyer customers & you had to ask for them once you were in the Costco Car Buyer system. 

The gal I worked at the dealership was great, though she's no longer in sales & is now a finance manager at the dealership.  It was just an all-around great experience. 

When I went in to look & do a test drive, they didn't have any on the lot in the color I wanted (Sepia Bronze Metallic)  because it was a brand new color & extremely popular, though they did have the interior I desired (Saddle Brown Leather-also brand new), so she had me do my test drive in the Touring model I wanted with the Saddle Brown leather, but in a different exterior color.  We did the test drive & she spent about 45 minutes with me showing & explaining all the features & answering my questions.  I told her I didn't want to pull the trigger until I had a chance to see the exterior color I wanted in person since I'd only seen photos, so she said she'd call me when they had one come in.  About a week later, she called & asked me if I could come in that day before 4pm, since one had been delivered that another customer had ordered & was going to be there taking delivery at 4:30pm.   I told her I'd be right there & I was able walk around it to see it in person, but since it was sold & waiting for its new owner she couldn't show me the inside.  I already knew what the exterior looked like, so it was no biggie.  So we went inside & placed the order.  That was in Sept. 2016 & I took delivery in Dec. 2016.  I was able to track my car's journey from the factory in Japan to the port & then truck on a car hauler to here.

Trusted Contributor

As a long time Subaru owner (31 years - Legacy), if I could afford to buy a new one, either would be fine.  I totally trust Subaru cars.  

You are blessed that you can buy a new car.  I pray my 31 year old Subi lasts a few more years for me.

Frequent Contributor

On my second Cross Trek and I'm a Subaru for life person.  It drives SO easy to me and I like the sporty look.

Esteemed Contributor

@Black Cat Back wrote:

As a long time Subaru owner (31 years - Legacy), if I could afford to buy a new one, either would be fine.  I totally trust Subaru cars.  

You are blessed that you can buy a new car.  I pray my 31 year old Subi lasts a few more years for me.

@Black Cat Back 

Wow! 31 years. That's awesome. 

Regular Contributor

I'm on my third Subaru, a 2022 Forester. My last was a 1995 Legacy Wagon which I had for 27 years. I also considered the Crosstrek, but felt I could see so much better in the Forester and liked that it had the LED headlights. I'm older and being able to see better was a big deal for me.

It took me quite a while to get comfortable in the size and height of the Forester, but now I'm used to it and feel comfortable with it. At first I regretted not going for the smaller Crosstek. Either way you can't go wrong. 

I'd suggest listening to Alex Prestigiacomo on his youtube channel. Wonderful videos on Subarus. Highly recommend his channel.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all of the responses. I actually ordered the Crosstrek Limited today. There is a 2-3 week wait and I had to put a deposit down. 

I test drove both the Forester and the Crosstrek and I felt more comfortable driving the crosstrek. I was turning corners not feeling as If I was driving something too big for me.

I sort of just slid into crosstrek, instead of having to sink down as I do for my current automobile. With the Forester, I had to do a little hop to get into the seat. 

Another important factor for me was the dollars. I was able to get top of the line with the Crosstrek Limited. I could not have done this with the Forester. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus. Congrats! What color did you get? Mine is white. It has that spectator look with the black trim. I also really like the blue khaki color.
Esteemed Contributor

@cosmic1 

I would have preferred white, but I either would have had to take the base model (which I was not interested in) or I would have had to special order for the trim that I wanted which would have been 2-3 months. Supply chain issues are still a problem.

I had three colors to choose from and went with the Magnetic Gray Metallic. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus. That is a pretty color too.
Esteemed Contributor

@Black Cat Back wrote:

@Black Cat Back 

I was reading through this thread again and it hit me that you have had  your car for 31 years.

That is quite impressive.