Honored Contributor

Another Soldier's Death Reported at Fort Hood, Texas

What is going on at Fort Hood?  It seems to have an inordinate number of deaths plaguing it year after year.  Some murders, some suicides and some unexplained.

Strange and concerning, that's for certain. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Soldier's Death Reported at Fort Hood, Texas

The main cantonment of Fort Hood had a total population of 53,416 as of the 2010 U.S. Census. Fort Hood is the most populous U.S. military installation in the world. ... In April 2014, the Fort Hood website lists 45,414 assigned soldiers and 8,900 civilian employees with Fort Hood covering 214,000 acres (87,000 ha).

Ft. Hood is a sizable city.  In any such population, there are going to be deaths from both natural and unnatural causes.  It's not abnormal unless there are a series of murders that follow the same pattern. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The size of Fort Hood is quite large both in land mass and population.  It lies between the towns of Copperas Cove and Killeen, TX with many who are assigned to the base living in one of those two towns. Killeen especially has grown beyond anything I could have imagined when it was a much smaller rural town.

Honored Contributor

Kachina and On It,

Thank you both for this information that helps put the deaths in perspective.  I sincerely appreciate the insight you have given.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 glad to see you posting again!

Honored Contributor

@LIndaMJ wrote:

@Kachina624 glad to see you posting again!

@LIndaMJ    I come to lurk then see a post I just can't resist commenting on. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

They really need to rename that fort. In today's day and age, there's no reason to leave it with that kind of name.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

My father was stationed at Ft. Hood way back in late 50's and early 60's.  And, as far as I can tell,i t wasn't nearly as populated as it is no.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

They really need to rename that fort. In today's day and age, there's no reason to leave it with that kind of name.

@Porcelain 

"day and age"?  Why change the name and what has the 3 words above have to do with a Military Base?

Anyone that reads or listens to the news, knows that population grew, in 1 week, over 4,000 residents(?).

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

"day and age"?  Why change the name and what has the 3 words above have to do with a Military Base?

Anyone that reads or listens to the news, knows that population grew, in 1 week, over 4,000 residents(?).

hckynut 

Day and age is a turn of phrase that means, "nowadays." If you look into the person the fort is named after you will see why many consider the name unacceptable. It's fine if you are okay with it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr