Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Sept 11-Related Cancer Death -- When will it End?

@SaRina wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

Thousands of people who were exposed on that day have come down with exposure-related illnesses. I believe 1,000-2,000 have died as a result.

My neighbor and friend, a Department of Sanitation worker, who volunteered at "The Pile" in the aftermath of the attack, was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (he's a non-smoker) a few days ago. He has two young children and takes care of his elderly mother.

Adding to my own post: He went into hospice a month ago and passed away one week later.  Add another to the list.....

@SaRina-  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Sadly, the list keeps getting longer and longer.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@sunala Okay.  I wonder if anyone has done any research on the ordinary civilians who helped with things also. 

@Puzzle Piece  -  I would think so, but we'd probably have to do research to find out for sure. I sure hope so.

Esteemed Contributor

Some of the office buildings in the area had to be cleaned, along with personal belongings, before people could go back to the location to work.  It's not clear how long the area was dangerous...was it months, years?  Something to think about.  

Respected Contributor

My brother's FIL died from complications of working at Ground Zero. His company was there from day one helping with the recovery all the way up to the removal out to the airport hangers with the remains as his company was contracted to be on call in the tri-state area 24/7 for demolition and removal. If anyone lives in this area from Conn to PA and NY and NJ you would have seen the huge red trucks with his last name on them. Crisscrossing the states with removal.  He happened to be across the river in Hoboken on the water front doing a demolition job when the first plan hit. He was there continuously along with his crews 24/7. He died in 2005. He was 62. He developed lung cancer and was a non-smoker in 2002.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

My brother's FIL died from complications of working at Ground Zero. His company was there from day one helping with the recovery all the way up to the removal out to the airport hangers with the remains as his company was contracted to be on call in the tri-state area 24/7 for demolition and removal. If anyone lives in this area from Conn to PA and NY and NJ you would have seen the huge red trucks with his last name on them. Crisscrossing the states with removal.  He happened to be across the river in Hoboken on the water front doing a demolition job when the first plan hit. He was there continuously along with his crews 24/7. He died in 2005. He was 62. He developed lung cancer and was a non-smoker in 2002.

@AngusandBuddhasMom- I'm sorry for your loss. That's so terribly sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We lost yet another New Yorker from the effects of Sept 11, 2001. Rest in peace, Thomas Phelan, only 45 years old, who died Friday March 16, 2018. Sympathy to his family and friends. He was truly a hero.

Mr. Phelan worked for the Circle Line Statue of Liberty ferry cruises when the twin towers were hit and helped to ferry people from Lower Manhattan, FDNY spokesman Jim Long confirmed.

In 2003, Phelan joined the fire department as a firefighter and eventually was promoted to marine pilot, Long said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio praised Phelan's heroism and mourned his death in a tweet.
"In our city's darkest hour, @FDNY firefighter Thomas Phelan's heroism saved hundreds of lives," de Blasio said. "We will never forget his service and his sacrifice," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/18/us/ny-firefighter-911-death/index.html

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

More sad news:

FDNY Chief Ronald Spadafora, who supervised rescue and recovery efforts at Ground Zero, died Saturday June 23, 2018 of a World Trade Center-related illness, according to the FDNY. He was 63.   The 40-year veteran is the 178th member of the FDNY to die of 9/11-related illnesses, the department said.

The former Levittown resident, who moved to New York City in 2004, was the World Trade Center chief of safety for the entire 9/11 recovery operation. He was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in December 2015.

“He was very dedicated to his job,” said Frederick Spadafora, of Huntington, the chief’s brother. “He could have retired many years ago, but he didn’t.”

May he rest in peace.

Trusted Contributor

NYS Police Sgt Charles Salaway passed away on June 9 from a 9/11 related disease. He was sent down there to do recover at the time. Only 55 years old when he died.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

NYS Police Sgt Charles Salaway passed away on June 9 from a 9/11 related disease. He was sent down there to do recover at the time. Only 55 years old when he died.

@pigletsmom- I'm so sorry to hear that. I only post the news I know about. Sadly, I'm sure there are several others that I don't see.

May they all rest in peace.

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@sunala Okay.  I wonder if anyone has done any research on the ordinary civilians who helped with things also. 

@Puzzle Piece, My mom and dad were Red Cross on-site disaster relief volunteers for 16 years. This was the last disaster they worked before deciding to retire.  They left their home in central PA 3 weeks after 9-11 and stayed on the job 3 weeks in NYC very close to Ground Zero, October 2001. They helped the Red Cross evaluate victims’ needs and helped them receive vouchers for things they needed.

There was a program Mom and Dad were invited to participate in which was funded by the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation.  Through this program my parents travelled to Piscataway, NJ., where Drs evaluated their health status once a year and followed them for ten years. I’m not sure what the data has revealed on the entire group of workers who participated but Dad now has COPD and the drs think there’s a good chance it was either caused by being exposed to the toxins in the air near Ground Zero or has been made worse by this.  My dad had smoked when he was younger but quit when he was 39. At that time he started working out and he and Mom changed to a healthy diet which they both maintained for almost 50 years. 

Now, my dad is 90 which is wonderful.  He takes meds for COPD, because without them he can’t even complete a sentence without coughing, gasping and wheezing.  Drs can’t say for sure what the causal factors are but it makes sense to at least conclude that being exposed to that toxic air certainly didn’t help Dad’s lungs.