Honored Contributor

Re: Another Sad National Park Incident

[ Edited ]

IMO..summer is not the time to visit National parks, hiking on trails. It's important to have lots of water, food, sunscreen, and a way to let people know you are lost (mirror, matches).

Adding this: Don't hike alone, and tell someone where you are going,

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - we have people do the same thing with the gators. I yell at them to get their child out of harms way - they are clueless as to how fast a gator can move. All they want is a picture of their kid with a gator.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie, If you've never visited a national park, you've missed the best of America.  I have many favorites.  I'll pick you up and take you on a tour.  Lots of birding opportunities.

I was at Yellowstone two years ago and they've let it fall into disrepair and it's just plain shabby.  It way over-used and my favorite feature no longer exists.  It's hardly worth the trip, and don't stay in the Old Faithful Inn.

@Bird mama

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

For 25 yrs we lived w/o 50 miles of Death Valley.  Every summer Europeans ( German in particular) would flock to the Park for "the full experience", they think they are impervious.  The natives, like me, toured the area in the Winter, if possible, with water, hats, Kool Dan's etc.  But then Americans "run with the bulls" in Spain, so I guess we are all crazy y!