Super Contributor

Re: Another Question about How Much Cash for Wedding Gift

The food at weddings is usually never that good. A cocktail reception with hors d'oeuvres sounds better to me

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I would give $100, but I wonder if it's a regional issue. When I moved down South, I noticed that people gave less! Maybe it was just the weddings I attended...

Honored Contributor

I have never been to a wedding without a sit down dinner and open bar.   I’ve even been to a couple of destination weddings where a full dinner was served.  

Trusted Contributor

im going to a wedding in 2 weeks.. i've worked with the girl for about 10 yrs.. i'm giving 100. i just feel cheap if i give any less  lol i went to her bridal shower and spent 100 also.. i feel like thats a good amount

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11  - I think it's a regional thing.  My future son-in-laws mother is from a small town in PA and still stuck back in the 70's.  

She lives than 2 hours away from us.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom    I think it is extremely rude to invite people you work with to your wedding.  If you have become really good friends and socialize outside of work that is one thing, but if you are just social at work you should not invite someone to your wedding.  I had someone invite me to their wedding that I worked with and she was about 20 years younger.  I did go to the shower but did not go to the wedding nor give a gift for the wedding.  Enough is enough.  I agree with you.  $50 to $75 is more in line with someone you are not close to.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

It must be a regional thing. In the Boston area hubby and I used to give $100 25 years ago to coworkers. Today we are retired. We give $250 to nieces/nephews or children of cousins. 

Honored Contributor

We don’t usually get invitations to people we don’t know very well. Weddings are so expensive now, the bride usually keeps the guest list down to close friends and family. If we do get invites from former coworkers we knew well, we would prob give $100. I would feel awkward giving less. If the couple are really starting out with nothing, the money will be out to good use. If they ask for money for the honeymoon, I give nothing. That’s where I draw the line.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm still stuck on the fact that your DD is going to fly to Vegas and spend over $1000 for a bachelorette party! What is with these expensive bachelor/bachelorette parties that are at expensive destinations? Anyway, back to the wedding gift - if it's her own money then I'd say it's her decision. I think $100 is too much in this case.

Honored Contributor

It's not like it use to be, when a single person gave $50 and a couple gave $75. I agree with your daughter, giving $100 is right, a couple would give $200-$250. If you are related to the bride or groom, you give at least $250, some give upwards of $500!