Trusted Contributor

Another Place♥️Another Time

[ Edited ]

Do you have, have you had, someone in your life, that fit in this category? 

It could be a friend, or just an acquaintance, nothing romantic has  happened between; you both know that nothing ever will. Yet, spoken or not, you both know, that, in another place, how different it might have been! 

I have a guy friend of 20+years, we're both 45. 

Although, there's always been a little spark, we've never been in the same place. If I was free, he was not, and when he was available, I was involved. 

Several years ago, he was in town for a wedding(lives on the other Coast) we'd both had a few drinks, and, he said something, like

"So, if we didn't have the worlds worst timing, do you think we might have been having a wedding". It was awkward, for about a minute. Then we both cracked up, and said, "but we do have the worst timing, obviously we're meant to be, just friends!"

It Was sweet. 

Even if you don't want to share a  story, makes you smile, a bit, eh?

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Place♥️Another Time

That's a cute story!

I don't know --- I think probably many of us have had occasions where we think --- what if? 

But basically I am a person who thinks if something was meant to be, it will be.  

I have had fleeting (and they were fleeting) thoughts over the years about people I have casually dated and wondered --- hmmm-- I wonder what my life would have been like if he and I would actually have gotten together --- ???  But its never really serious thoughts and as I said ---it's a fleeting thought.

I am (for better and worse) where I am meant to be and and am with whom I am meant to be with.  

I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking though as you have.  Human nature, right?  Woman Happy

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

That has never happened to me.  You never know what the future holds, though.  Perhaps one day the two of you will end up together.

Honored Contributor

@Suhse@Ms X@AngelPuppy1

This has never happened to me, but I wish it would.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Yes, I know what you mean.  I've been married for many, many years.  Several years ago I met a man my husband knew through another friend.  I returned from a bike ride and he was standing in my kitchen and when we looked at each other there was an instant feeling of affection.  Not so much a sexual thing, but a warm affection.  His wife is now a friend and we occasionally socialize with them.  Maybe we knew each other in a previous life or something.  Can't explain it.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"Sure I think about you now and then

But it's been a long, long time.

Well I've got a good life now, I've moved on

So when you cross my mind

I try not to think about what might have been.

Cause that was then and

We have taken different roads.

We can't go back again

There's no use giving in

And there's no way to know

What might have been." - "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"Sure I think about you now and then

But it's been a long, long time.

Well I've got a good life now, I've moved on

So when you cross my mind

I try not to think about what might have been.

Cause that was then and

We have taken different roads.

We can't go back again

There's no use giving in

And there's no way to know

What might have been." - "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas

_____

Love this song, and very true!

Esteemed Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

Do you have, have you had, someone in your life, that fit in this category? 

It could be a friend, or just an acquaintance, nothing romantic has  happened between; you both know that nothing ever will. Yet, spoken or not, you both know, that, in another place, how different it might have been! 

I have a guy friend of 20+years, we're both 45. 

Although, there's always been a little spark, we've never been in the same place. If I was free, he was not, and when he was available, I was involved. 

Several years ago, he was in town for a wedding(lives on the other Coast) we'd both had a few drinks, and, he said something, like

"So, if we didn't have the worlds worst timing, do you think we might have been having a wedding". It was awkward, for about a minute. Then we both cracked up, and said, "but we do have the worst timing, obviously we're meant to be, just friends!"

It Was sweet. 

Even if you don't want to share a  story, makes you smile, a bit, eh?

I do know what you mean.  Sometimes people can come into your life and leave an indelible mark that lasts a lifetime.  Sometimes, that's all its supposed to be and other times thoughts of "what if" invade you just at the mere mention of the name.  In my case, I am extremely grateful that one of the "what ifs" didn't materialize.

*Call Tyrone*