Honored Contributor

Re: Another Good Article about STUFF and DOWNSIZING

Generalizations leave out individuals. While some want disposable possessions others cherish quality. What's on trend now won't be on trend in the future. What's unwanted by one generation may well be valued by the next.

When my parents' house was emptied, there was a bidding war among their grandchildren and great grandchildren for the antiques that were left out of the will. There will always be those who prefer gracious living; those who have dinner at a table instead of in front of a TV.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Article makes a valid point. In general, 20s - 40s aren't interested in keeping their parent's accessories or emotional keepsakes. They would want our technology, vehicles or great furniture, selective jewelry, golf clubs or sports memorbilia, but they aren't collectors of much. I shared with my grown children at Thanksgiving the pottery and ceramics I have on display in my curio that they made in high school / college art classes (and who created what). They looked at me and said -- oh, I really don't want that. It's a sentimental thing for me. It's nothing to them.     

My mom gave my sister a bunch of stuff she did in school. Over thanksgiving we laughed because she said she threw it all out. When my other sister was a kid she collected porcelin dolls. I think she gave them back to my parents because she doesn’t want them. I do think the younger generation are becoming more minimalist.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to say, that when I hear the things this article stresses about the disposing of parents/grandparents 'stuff', and the disdain people have for doing so, I get more than a little miffed. 

I'm in my mid 50's (geez, I guess in reality I'm heading into my later 50's!) and have more than my share of stuff. I have an 82 year old mother with more than her share of stuff. I have a 21 year old son.

I disagree with the attitudes and conclusions articles like this, and people in general take for granted on this subject.

First and foremost, not everyone in the younger generations hates 'dark' furniture, antiques and family heirlooms. I think there is way too much generalization going on there. Not everyone in this country is living in an ultra minimalist environment, jet setting all over the world, and appreciates only the IKEA look in home decor. My 21 year old son and his girlfriend (and many others) are having fun putting together antique/vintage furniture, dishes, linens jewelry, etc. To make blanket statements that "no one wants that 'junk' is simply incorrect". Search the internet for blogs and FB pages of young people who are into and collecting vintage and antiques. They are out there. They may not be your kids or grandkids, but to make claims that they don't exist is simply false. And the prices being paid for much of this 'junk' might surprise many.

My son has expressed interest in many antiques and things we have. He actually isn't very happy with me because I won't give him some of them already!

Second, I'm not going to push my mother, or myself for that matter, to pare down to the minimum and live without the things we have worked all our lives for, cherish, enjoy and create beautiful homes with. I'm not forcing myself or my loved ones to feel it necessary to spend the rest of our lives with two plates a cup and a fork, so someone doesn't have to clean out the kitchen cabinets or the china cupboard when we die.

People have every right to finish their lives living with their fine furniture, their cherished photo albums, and their wedding crystal if they so choose to. It isn't selfish, it isn't, wrong. 

If I (or my child) has to hire an auction company to come in after our passing, to eliminate the things they don't want, so be it. I'm not going to leave basements full of trash, broken things, hoards of bread bags and twistie ties and plastic butter bowls like many depression era folks have done out of fear of not having again sometime in their lives. I'm not going to leave boxes upon boxes of mixed up paper work going back to receipts for my first car purchased during the Carter administration.

I am responsible enough to keep important files current and organized. I'm competent enough not to fill the house with outdated and broken electronics and appliances that I'm "going to fix someday". 

I can see people getting frustrated having to clean out situations like this.

But to be so arrogant as to assume, regardless of what generation one belongs to, that those going on before them should do without, release and give up perfectly acceptable things (when did we come to the place where if you have and love your china, or 12 pc teapot collection, you are out of touch, greedy and selfish for having and enjoying it?), just to make the survivor's lives easier is just that, arrogant. 

When each of us individually decides we have no use for certain things anymore, that is when they go. We shouldn't feel dictated to by our children, today's fads and trends, or what other people think we should be doing. I spent a good 20 years sacrificing for my son, as my parents did for me. We gave up time, money, opportunities to have and do things, in order to give to and raise our children. So don't expect me to feel sorry for myself when my mom dies and I have to clear out her space, and I will not feel guilt for the work my son will have to put into cleaning out my home. If we drag our feet, it will take a month working on it part time/in spare time. Less time than that if we wave a wand and have a service come in and take it all to auction. I don't consider that much to give back for all the sacrifice a parent gives over a lifetime. 

So while I, like many here, have been on a decluttering journey, and have been doing it with my mom as well, it has always been more of a yearly occurrence to keep things in check, it has been about letting go of things that we want to, WHEN we want to, not because of the dictates of what the future might hold for settling an estate, or because our children don't want the things, we shouldn't want them now either.

I feel that this focus on people assuming that what is left when someone dies is a bunch of junk and no one wants it, is an over generalization and not at all encompassing the entire population. Yes, many here have noted their children don't want their things. Perhaps they don't, or they don't now, but may want some things later on. And just because they don't want them, doesn't  mean they don't have value, both monetary value, and value to others, be it charities, more distant relatives, collectors of certain things etc. If anyone has ever attended an estate sale or auction, they will see people having a great time, buying up all that 'junk' and generating a lot of revenue for the heirs. 

I've said for years, that should my husband and son wish to hold an auction after my death, I want to look down and watch, because I know there will be a bunch of women having a blast, just as I have done and seen countless times before. 

But until then, I refuse to be intimidated by articles like this and the idea that no one wants my stuff. Somebody will want it, if it isn't my family, it will be the hospice thrift, the Goodwill, the homeless shelter, the women's shelter, the people who attend the auction etc. I'm choosing when my stuff goes, how much of it goes, how long I enjoy and use it.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Generalizations leave out individuals. While some want disposable possessions others cherish quality. What's on trend now won't be on trend in the future. What's unwanted by one generation may well be valued by the next.

When my parents' house was emptied, there was a bidding war among their grandchildren and great grandchildren for the antiques that were left out of the will. There will always be those who prefer gracious living; those who have dinner at a table instead of in front of a TV.

@occasionalrain

So well said! And so true. There are always those who love nice things, old things. Most things come and go in cycles. If it isn't popular today, it will be tomorrow. 

And with people repurposing so many things these days, even if things our kids and grandkids choose to keep aren't used the way we used them or they were intended to be used, doesn't mean they won't be wanted or used. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio-

Your post was so thoughtful.

I had to laugh at part of it because I felt like, wait, were you looking in my mother's or father's cabinets lol!

The plastic bread bags and twist ties saved. Oh and does yours wash and reuse tin foil and plastic bags?! I understand it all-the "waste not, want not."

Our depression era parents really didn't know if they would ever be able to get another this or that and then when they were able, stocked up on 50 packages of each and every thing.

I don't have to do or be that obsessive but I understand it.

And though a lot of younger and older! people are enjoying being more minimalist, there are many like you said @occasionalrain, that really enjoy making a beautiful table setting, or creating a very

beautiful and decorative home.

I appreciate those different mindsets.

I admire my daughter who is very minimalist. I think her home is beautiful and the things she has are meaningful and appreciated. And my others for the elaborate thought and detail put into each and every celebration and occasion. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

and no one on earth, really knows WHO in a family will go FIRST.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  Thank you for this post.  I took it to heart and filled my garbage can and recycle yesterday.  I will be moving again soon and needed to get rid of my things and mom's too.  

I have older friends who had their children sell everything to comapnies instead of wanting their precious geneational antiques.  One in the assisted living is sad, the other was dead when her kids did it.  

Valued Contributor

My dad died when I was 12 and my mom when I was 18.  I would love to have some junk of their's.  

Honored Contributor

Ancestry searches are popular but having something that belonged to one's great grand parent is junk apparently. 

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

My dad died when I was 12 and my mom when I was 18.  I would love to have some junk of their's.  

@DrakesMomma 

IT is all about perspective isn't it? 

My mom's mother died in childbirth having her. Her father was only around some times, to abuse the kids after that. She was shoved from here to there, mostly living with people she wasn't even related to. 

She has nothing of her childhood, her family or especially her mother. There is a hand full of pictures some distant relative ran across and let her have, and that is it. 

I know she would love to have even just one doily, one knic knack, or something that belonged to her mom. 

I certainly understand having all you need and want by the time your parents pass. I've had long heart to hearts with my mother about her things and what is going to happen to them when she is gone. 

There are some pieces of wood furniture that I want and would use to replace some I have, and there are a few lamps (most of these things go back to my childhood), but 90% of it will most likely be sold. It is expensive, beautiful. well cared for, but like many I don't want, and can't handle everything she has. She is good with that, and happy about the special pieces that I want to keep. 

At the same time, I've no intention of making her feel that she has to downsize anymore than we already have, prior to her passing. If she wants to finish her life with what she has now, I am willing to support that, and deal with the aftermath. It really isn't about me. It is about her living out the rest of her life, with or without whatever she sees fit at this time (and I can say this because while she has a lot of stuff, it is not excessive for the space, and all in good and usable condition).

The only time I really 'push' her to clean out, is when she is the one complaining about lack of space, closets not being functional, being tired of moving this and that to get to something else in the closet etc. Then I feel she is not comfortable with the quantity of stuff, and encourage and help guide what to remove.