Honored Contributor

Re: Another Florida Shooting

When funding is cut to mental health programs and services, when insurance necessary to obtain those is cut, when it is literally made easier for people with mental health issues to obtain guns through legislation and other means. All this and more well how exactly is that doing something about the people who are the problem and not the guns? That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

It's the people and the guns. It's both.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Time for anger management and conflict resolution and how to prevent entitlement. As we have always had guns.

Exactly.

This isn't how most people responded to stresses and pressures and challenges in the past. 

There is something wrong with people and society. The gun availability hasn't changed, people have. 

We have to fix the people. If they don't have guns they find other ways to injure and kill others. Removing just the 'thing' isn't going to make the root cause of the issues go away or stop the violence.

@Mominohio Exactly. If they don't have guns, they'll blow people up with homemade bombs or run them over with vehicles. We need to be able to identify the people who are likely to do these things, not take guns away from law-abiding citizens and leave everyone defenseless. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Time for anger management and conflict resolution and how to prevent entitlement. As we have always had guns.

Exactly.

This isn't how most people responded to stresses and pressures and challenges in the past. 

There is something wrong with people and society. The gun availability hasn't changed, people have. 

We have to fix the people. If they don't have guns they find other ways to injure and kill others. Removing just the 'thing' isn't going to make the root cause of the issues go away or stop the violence.

@Mominohio Exactly. If they don't have guns, they'll blow people up with homemade bombs or run them over with vehicles. We need to be able to identify the people who are likely to do these things, not take guns away from law-abiding citizens and leave everyone defenseless. 

It's not one or the other.   Also, things like bombs or vehicles aren't causing the same level of carnage and slaughter as firearms are.    As long as we keep reverting back to thinking it's that simple, we'll keep spinning our wheels.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

When funding is cut to mental health programs and services, when insurance necessary to obtain those is cut, when it is literally made easier for people with mental health issues to obtain guns through legislation and other means. All this and more well how exactly is that doing something about the people who are the problem and not the guns? That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

It's the people and the guns. It's both.

Precisely, @Greeneyedlady21.   It's about people and guns, both.   I wish we could distill it down to simple solutions, but I fear the powers-that-be are far too content with the status quo and their message has so permeated the population that we see no change.   They don't want change, as far as I can see.   Just more "thoughts and prayers."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Yup. I’m weary of everyone jumping to an all or nothing argument. Unproductive. It’s an excuse to belittle the other side. It’s no wonder we are in a mess.
Valued Contributor

I do not know what stops a bad guy with a gun, other than a good guy with a gun.  I'm pretty sure another law won't do it.  In fact, it is illegal to shoot people in all 50 states, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about the regard shooters hold for the law.

Guns are just tools.  We have seen terrorists use fertilizer (Timothy McVeigh), airplanes (9/11), and vehicles to mow down unsuspecting pedestrians.  (Too numerous to cite, but easy to find.)

Besides killing humans, guns are also used to protect humans.  I live near Grand Teton National Park.  A grizzly just attacked a 10-year-old boy a few days ago.  He was hiking on a trail.  She was thought to be protecting her cub.  The grizz was misinformed.  The boy was just out for a hike with his family.

We had a cougar living in my neighborhood all last winter.  The things are numerous this year.  Lots of folks carry guns to protect themselves, their companion animals, and their children.  It's not a bad idea.

I grew up on an Indian reservation.  Most of my cousins are still there.  They depend on the meat they get from hunting.  The tribe lets members hunt year-round.

Don't get me started on the fallacy that the Founding Fathers were only interested in a standing army.  Their own words and letters make it clear that they intended a well-armed populace to be a deterrent to an authoritarian governent that disregarded the rights and freedoms of the people it is supposed to represent.

And for the record, I am in favor of thoughts and prayers for the wounded and slain and their families.  This world could use all the help it can get.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Why was anyone allowed to bring a gun into that place? It was a gaming competition. Many gamers are loathe to discuss their feelings; the screen is their outlet...but it is possible they shooter took his loss much too seriously; that is the motive given so far.
Honored Contributor

This is the third shooting incident in less than two weeks in Florida. Think the first two were at Friday night high school football games. They need to pay more attention to who has the guns...banning them will never happen.
Respected Contributor

@Oostende beautifully put.

Respected Contributor

Do the bad guys wear large signs so we can side-step  them quickly enough? 

How many NRA members have committed murder?  (It seems statistics are a little foggy.)

Do legitimately licensed gun owners ever go off the deep end?

Please feel free to add your questions.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~