Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Florida Shooting

@Mominohio wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

Reports saying the Jacksonville gunman who opened fire

at Madden tournament 'was gamer who had lost'.

Hmm, and the videos and movies that we are bombarded with (pun intended) don't have an affect on creating a culture of violence? Ok then. 

The game they were playing is a football game.  

No illegal violence.

Trying to tie video/movies to illegal activities is crazy. 

FFCC138D-0C02-4DBA-9F6B-3A9E97EFB133.jpeg

Super Contributor

I live in Florida and I have a conceal carry permit and I'm not macho, sooooo.

Honored Contributor

It never fails ,that some person brings up mentally ill, instead of the real problem guns.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

For the record, may we PLEASE keep in mind that nightmare is happening in Florida. Land of the "anyone and their brother/mother/sister/auntie/etc) can get a gun just by walking in and asking for it.

Yes, it's legal...in FLORIDA. This is NOT the case everywhere else in the US. Though this person may be a legal gun owner in FLORIDA, it doesn't men he SHOULD be or COULD be in other states. Since we don't know all the details, we're commenting on OUR opinions on gun control (or lack there-of, depending on the poster).  I'd like to know a bit more about the situation....

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read about this sad incident but I will. However, does our country have problems with gun control? Absolutely, yes. Is it a problem in our country that people  aren't taught skills in conflict management? Yes. If this skill is only taught in families, how many families teach this skill? Dispute resolution should be taught in Kindergarten and followed-up through Grade 12. IMO  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

So you would feel safer if good guys were not allowed to have and carry guns, but bad guys, who have guns and will break the law, do have guns?

The “good guys” DO have guns.

They are called police...aka Law Enforcement.

The gun ‘toters’ have no idea what they would do if something

happened.  Though they probably think it looks cool to

have a gun on the hip. 🙄

Yes, I don't think we should be encouraging vigilante action.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It never fails ,that some person brings up mentally ill, instead of the real problem guns.

Agreed and then our lawmakers are busy slashing mental health care:/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Exactly.

This isn't how most people responded to stresses and pressures and challenges in the past. 

There is something wrong with people and society. The gun availability hasn't changed, people have. 

We have to fix the people. If they don't have guns they find other ways to injure and kill others. Removing just the 'thing' isn't going to make the root cause of the issues go away or stop the violence.

Gun availability has changed, types of weapons easily available changed, and people, too, have changed.    It's not as simple as removing a "thing" or even just fixing the way people respond to stresses.   It's far more complex than that, but for some reason we keep falling back to the same almost canned and predictable arguments that do nothing to advance the discussion and do nothing to save precious lives.

THen what is the answer?

We continually see the most gun regulated areas still have the highest gun crime, so yeah, that doesn't work. 

We see one after another of these shooters had big warning signs and people knew many of them were an accident waiting to happen (sometimes even on the radar of more than one entity that should have moved on it), yet  we don't get to the root of dealing with these people before they strike.

This all comes with having rights. The rights of people who may be disturbed to not be violated and the rights of gun owners to not be curtailed. 

Freedom isn't free, it isn't a utopia and it isn't always 'safe'. Nothing in life really is,and that might be one of the first misconceptions we need to change. 

The "rights" for owning and using firearms were for a trained and organized militia, designed for a time that was very different from now, and the founding fathers were aware the country would grow and change so they made accommodations for us to make changes in "rights" as time passed.   I think we make a grave mistake in using that historical militia justification, but at the same time I don't think we should remove everyone's privilege to own a firearm.   The gun laws are spotty, uneven, so it's easy to find ways around them, and by allowing it to remain this way for so long we've allowed it to become possibly unfixable.   There is no such thing as utopia on this earth.   I do think, however, there is such a thing as hell on this earth and I think by not listening to each other (and by allowing ourselves to be gaslighted) we've moved pretty close to it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Huh???  People who kill others, for any reason other than self-defense, don't have a mental issue?

By that logic, we should ban all knives, spears, cars, airplanes, etc.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

So you would feel safer if good guys were not allowed to have and carry guns, but bad guys, who have guns and will break the law, do have guns?

The “good guys” DO have guns.

They are called police...aka Law Enforcement.

The gun ‘toters’ have no idea what they would do if something

happened.  Though they probably think it looks cool to

have a gun on the hip. 🙄

Yes, I don't think we should be encouraging vigilante action.

Well, the police can not be everywhere all the time.  People who carry guns have had some training and I would still rather have a civilian with a gun in the store with me, than not.  I do not think most have a gun just to look "cool."

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead