Honored Contributor

Re: Another Florida Shooting

Thank you, @dooBdoo!  👏👏👏👏👏

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

So you would feel safer if good guys were not allowed to have and carry guns, but bad guys, who have guns and will break the law, do have guns?

I can only answer for myself and not for @blackhole99, but it's just not that simple.   I think the core reason we never get anywhere in these discussions is because there are not any simple answers...  and because too many old memes get thrown into the mix...  and because too many of us have drawn a line in the sand, taken an immovable stance, and we don't listen to each other.    We don't hear each other, and we make absolutely no progress.

@dooBdoo

This seems to be true on so many fronts these days.

Unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Reports saying the Jacksonville gunman who opened fire

at Madden tournament 'was gamer who had lost'.

Hmm, and the videos and movies that we are bombarded with (pun intended) don't have an affect on creating a culture of violence? Ok then. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Time for anger management and conflict resolution and how to prevent entitlement. As we have always had guns.

Exactly.

This isn't how most people responded to stresses and pressures and challenges in the past. 

There is something wrong with people and society. The gun availability hasn't changed, people have. 

We have to fix the people. If they don't have guns they find other ways to injure and kill others. Removing just the 'thing' isn't going to make the root cause of the issues go away or stop the violence.

Gun availability has changed, types of weapons easily available changed, and people, too, have changed.    It's not as simple as removing a "thing" or even just fixing the way people respond to stresses.   It's far more complex than that, but for some reason we keep falling back to the same almost canned and predictable arguments that do nothing to advance the discussion and do nothing to save precious lives.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

So you would feel safer if good guys were not allowed to have and carry guns, but bad guys, who have guns and will break the law, do have guns?

The “good guys” DO have guns.

They are called police...aka Law Enforcement.

The gun ‘toters’ have no idea what they would do if something

happened.  Though they probably think it looks cool to

have a gun on the hip. 🙄

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Puppy Lips

Yes, essentially that is what they are begging for, but either don't see it or don't care.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

Reports saying the Jacksonville gunman who opened fire

at Madden tournament 'was gamer who had lost'.

Hmm, and the videos and movies that we are bombarded with (pun intended) don't have an affect on creating a culture of violence? Ok then. 

I think many people do believe videos, movies, games, etc., have the negative effect you mention.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@blackhole99It is not the man with a gun secured on his belt that you need to fear.  

....because wearing an AR-15 on the hip would be too uncomfortable.

(sarcasm)

Most mass shooters ARE legal gun owners. 

Well,  that's inconvenient.

E938FDD2-18D4-4847-B058-4C90F0DAB19C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Time for anger management and conflict resolution and how to prevent entitlement. As we have always had guns.

Exactly.

This isn't how most people responded to stresses and pressures and challenges in the past. 

There is something wrong with people and society. The gun availability hasn't changed, people have. 

We have to fix the people. If they don't have guns they find other ways to injure and kill others. Removing just the 'thing' isn't going to make the root cause of the issues go away or stop the violence.

Gun availability has changed, types of weapons easily available changed, and people, too, have changed.    It's not as simple as removing a "thing" or even just fixing the way people respond to stresses.   It's far more complex than that, but for some reason we keep falling back to the same almost canned and predictable arguments that do nothing to advance the discussion and do nothing to save precious lives.

THen what is the answer?

We continually see the most gun regulated areas still have the highest gun crime, so yeah, that doesn't work. 

We see one after another of these shooters had big warning signs and people knew many of them were an accident waiting to happen (sometimes even on the radar of more than one entity that should have moved on it), yet  we don't get to the root of dealing with these people before they strike.

This all comes with having rights. The rights of people who may be disturbed to not be violated and the rights of gun owners to not be curtailed. 

Freedom isn't free, it isn't a utopia and it isn't always 'safe'. Nothing in life really is,and that might be one of the first misconceptions we need to change. 

Super Contributor

Thank you.  The places with the strongest gun control laws have the worst gun control crimes.  I would rather be in a store with experienced conceal carry NRA member gun owners  when the lunatic fringe barges in to shoot up innocent people.