Honored Contributor

Another Facebook Security Breach Affects Almost 50 Million Users 😧

A new security breach, exposing the personal information of almost 50 million users, was discovered earlier this week, it was reported by The NY Times on Sept. 28. Just another reason I'm glad l never got involved with this.  Woman Surprised

Here's the article:

By Mike Isaac and Sheera Frenkel
Sept. 28, 2018
SAN FRANCISCO — Facebook on Friday said an attack on its computer network led to the exposure of information from nearly 50 million of its users.

The company discovered the breach earlier this week, finding that attackers had exploited a feature in Facebook’s code that allowed them to take over user accounts. Facebook fixed the vulnerability and notified law enforcement officials.

More than 90 million of Facebook’s users were forced to log out of their accounts Friday morning, a common safety measure for compromised accounts.

Facebook said it did not know the origin or identity of the attackers, nor had it fully assessed the scope of the attack. The company is in the beginning stages of its investigation.

The discovery of the hack comes at one of the most difficult times in Facebook’s history. The company has dealt with fallout over its role in a widespread Russian disinformation campaign around the 2016 presidential election.

The company is facing the threat of regulation from Washington over concerns of whether it has grown too powerful. And Facebook is still reeling from the fallout over its role in the Cambridge Analytica scandal. The British analytics firm may have improperly obtained the data of up to 87 million Facebook users.

One of Facebook’s most significant challenges has been convincing its users that it is responsible enough to handle the incredible wealth of data the company handles. More than 2 billion people use Facebook every month, and another two billion separately use WhatsApp, a messaging app owned by Facebook, and Instagram, the Facebook-owned popular photo-sharing app.

“We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can’t then we don’t deserve to serve you,” Mr. Zuckerberg said in a statement regarding Cambridge Analytica earlier this year.

Even before Friday’s disclosure, Facebook was facing multiple Federal investigations into the company’s broader data sharing and privacy practices. The Securities and Exchange Commission has opened an investigation into Facebook’s statements on Cambridge Analytica.

To contain the fallout, Facebook said it has instituted strict data-sharing policies with third-parties, and has scaled back the amount of data it would share with developers in the future. The company suspended access to more than 400 third-party apps after an audit of the thousands of outside apps connected to Facebook.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Facebook Security Breach Affects Almost 50 Million Users 😧

Thankfully they suspended my account many years ago for lack of usage.I was just taking up space I guess.

Honored Contributor

Not surprised at all.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@dex

You weren't providing any data they could sell, since you weren't using it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@dex

You weren't providing any data they could sell, since you weren't using it!

@KingstonsMom@dex: Exactly! If there isn't any potential to make $$$$ off of you, they don't want you.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Drudge report has a article hackers are going to shut down JZ's own facebook page.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not concerned; it has to do with the "View As" option, and I haven't used that recently......they couldn't get any info off my page anyway as I don't use my real name or location......

Esteemed Contributor

How ironic when I started a thread about Face book and there sharing history searches and exposing them to anyone who would come to someone page.

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad I took my account down. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I'm not concerned; it has to do with the "View As" option, and I haven't used that recently......they couldn't get any info off my page anyway as I don't use my real name or location......

LOl and the fact you feel the need to use a fake name and location is very telling ...very telling indeed.Woman Wink