Honored Contributor

Another Example of 'See Something, Say Something' Child Saved!

The quick thinking sanitation worker spotted the serial sex offender's car after an Amber Alert.

A pair of Louisiana sanitation workers are being hailed as heroes after they helped rescue an abducted 10-year-old.

On Sunday, state police issued an Amber Alert for Jalisa Lasalle, last seen getting into a grey 2012 Nissan Altima, warning she was in imminent danger.

The following morning Pelican Waste & Debris employees Dion Merrick and Brandon Antoine were driving their route when they spotted a suspicious car hidden away in a field; they immediately recalled the alert on their phone, and sprang into action.

Crossing their massive truck onto the wrong side of the road, they blocked off the only dirt road access to the field to prevent the car from escaping, before calling 911.

Merrick jumped on Facebook Live as the police arrived to rescue the little girl and arrest the suspect: 33-year-old Michael R. Sereal, a family friend — and convicted sex offender.

"I was on my trash route, I just seen this grey car parked in the field... there was a dude who had the little 10-year-old girl," Merrick said in the video, as police can be seen making their way to the car. "I just saved that little girl's life. They got him now."

"Something told me, something told me... I said what's that car doing way tucked off in the field like that? Guess what -- that's the dude with the little girl."

"People act like they see stuff, but they don't want to say nothing. That little girl is safe now," he added, revealing that he too is the father of a little girl.

"Great job gentlemen, thank you for your assistance," one of the officers can be heard telling them, promising he will call their supervisor to help with their very valid excuse for being late.

"I was just doing my job man," Merrick replies. "I was just doing my job."

In the video, which has now been viewed almost 2 million times, he also addresses the family of the rescued little girl.

"You need to fall on your knees and thank God, cause it could have been worse bro," he says. "'cause I'm looking at these woods, anything could have went on."

According to KATC, Sereal was booked without bond for aggravated kidnapping of a child and failure to register as a sex offender.

Court records show Sereal was charged with forcible rape of a 14-year-old in May 2006, but was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge of carnal knowledge of a juvenile. He was sentenced to ten years hard labor, but the sentence was suspended in place of supervised probation for five years. However when he failed to register as a sex offender as ordered, he was jailed for six years.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Example of 'See Something, Say Something' Child Saved!

Yes! Great outcome. Another story concerns an employee at a water treatment plant in a small town near Tampa, FL. He saw, on his computer, that an unusual amount of lye was being added to the water. He stopped it immediately and probably saved thousands of people from being poisoned. Apparently, hackers got into their system and tried to do their worst. I hope they're caught and that everyone will be on alert to these travesties.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom -

Wow what a wonderful outcome!

I have often heard the police say they would rather we call if we suspect something wrong even if it turns out to be nothing!

Great thinking and action guys!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

What blows me away is how many times these crimes against children occur by a "family friend".

Maybe people need to re-evaluate what constitutes a 'family friend', how well do you really know that person?

Something to think about........

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Well done, gentlemen! And I'm glad the Amber alert served its purpose.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Did the girls family know about him?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.