Esteemed Contributor

A man approached a school playground during recess and stabbed a 7-year-old girl Friday, leaving her seriously hurt, police said.

Dayton police said Friday evening they were still searching for a suspect who ran from the World of Wonder school following the afternoon attack. They said officers had unsuccessfully tried to track him with a police dog and canvassed the neighborhood.

Police described the suspect as a black man estimated to be 18 to 20 years old and a little less than 6 feet tall, wearing athletic shorts and a beige or green sweatshirt over an orange shirt.

A motive for the stabbing wasn't clear. Police didn't publicly identify the victim, who initially had been reported to be an 8-year-old girl.

More:  http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-enters-school-playground-stabs-year-recess-38939721

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp, the atrocities continue, day after day, all over the country. The little Navajo girl who was abducted, sexually assaulted, and murdered broke my heart. The other little blonde girl who is missing after reportedly being abducted by her uncle is unthinkable. It goes on and on and on. What is the answer? Mental health lock ups for those considered a threat? I doubt the case you mentioned or the two I did would have met mental health criteria if reported. What is the answer? Do we just hear/read about these cases more than we used to?

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

Very sad.

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Atrocity

[ Edited ]

The media are now reporting these incidents more frequently, the rate of the mentally ill roaming among us probably has not changed imo.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack, this will sound overly dramatic but I would willingly give up my life for the answer(s). 

I do believe lack of community (community as in "us and we" instead of "me then you") plays a big part, as does the "not my" child, wife, husband, brother, etc. denial of family and loved ones of those that are potential threats.

There are many societal aspects that I believe are contributory to the rage that builds until all control and reason is lost.  Too many have never learned to cope with loss, failure or hearing "no" so they become overwhelmed and resort to violence to even the score.

The reasons and causes are almost endless and individualistic so I suppose the answers are also individualistic and therefore elusive.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

i find it very sad too.  i think increased drug use and the different drugs on the street now has made a big difference.  it has really warped people's minds and so their behavior.

Regular Contributor

Take the politics out but when you are FREEING violent offenders such as drug dealers and other criminals what do you expect. I can speak from experience. My job is gov housing and sadly there are ALOT of drugs, especially in my area. It is known as the "Heroin Capital" of Ohio if not the nation. Not all people in sub housing are drug addicts. Some try to get help and stay clean. However, alot get a choice to choose jail or cbcf,which is a drug treatment center. One of the problems is, Judge Conway gives them a slap on the wrist for repeat offenders, we are talking repeat dealers of crack,cocaine, heroin, you name it. They fine them, possibly a jail time-10 years serves 2 months. The drug task force, "trys" but lets face it is a business. I mean if you can do a raid, impound "EVERYTHING", which according to the drug laws you are allowed to, nothing new. However, a good raid can net a few $1000 in cash, scales,drugs,tvs, cars anything that was bought in drugs. Give a few $100 and a some "samples" to your informant as payment. Then you have the druggies go before the judge, they are fined, squeal about the bigger fish and repeat. See a pattern? Not all violent offenders are a result of drugs. However, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than drugs not being involved somehow. Regardless, prayers to the victims and famlies.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@fuzzball76 wrote:

Take the politics out but when you are FREEING violent offenders such as drug dealers and other criminals what do you expect. I can speak from experience. My job is gov housing and sadly there are ALOT of drugs, especially in my area. It is known as the "Heroin Capital" of Ohio if not the nation. Not all people in sub housing are drug addicts. Some try to get help and stay clean. However, alot get a choice to choose jail or cbcf,which is a drug treatment center. One of the problems is, Judge Conway gives them a slap on the wrist for repeat offenders, we are talking repeat dealers of crack,cocaine, heroin, you name it. They fine them, possibly a jail time-10 years serves 2 months. The drug task force, "trys" but lets face it is a business. I mean if you can do a raid, impound "EVERYTHING", which according to the drug laws you are allowed to, nothing new. However, a good raid can net a few $1000 in cash, scales,drugs,tvs, cars anything that was bought in drugs. Give a few $100 and a some "samples" to your informant as payment. Then you have the druggies go before the judge, they are fined, squeal about the bigger fish and repeat. See a pattern? Not all violent offenders are a result of drugs. However, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than drugs not being involved somehow. Regardless, prayers to the victims and famlies.Smiley Sad

Huh??????   You got all of that out of the attack?   Or are you a psychic?  

Regular Contributor

Yep..."Having a vision...Powerball numbers....1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8..."

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the poster that wrote we need mental health lock up facilities. 

Also, there are dads out there who don't want to pay child support and wouldn't think twice about doing in a child to not do the responsible thing. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust