Respected Contributor

Re: Another 5 Bluebird Eggs!

How sweet IG!  I bought a BB house maybe a 2 months ago, but no one moved in... 

Do you offer worms or seed nearby to attract them? 

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

@Skyegirl21   Bluebirds don't eat seed.  You could offer them mealworms or suet.  If the house is a style that bluebirds like, it should be enough to attract them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

went have bluebirds where I live in california.  you are so lucky!!  i have only seen photos of bluebirds and they are so darn cute.  

Honored Contributor

Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

@Shelbelle wrote:

We had them too a few years ago, like turquoise, then one day we found them all cracked and broken, the vultures had gotten to them, so sad. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@KingstonsMom  I'm also on my second nesting of bluebirds. Five beautiful blue eggs in the nesting box. So much fun to watch the mama blue bird fly back and forth to the box with pine straw building the nest while daddy sits on top of the box.  Tipical.

@50Mickey 

Yep, Dad supervises the nest building, but fun to see Dad doing diaper duty when the babies hatch, LOL! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

We had them too a few years ago, like turquoise, then one day we found them all cracked and broken, the vultures had gotten to them, so sad. 

@Shelbelle 

Awww, so sad! Put up a box and they'll be protected from predators!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

@Skyegirl21 

Bluebirds eat mostly insects from the lawn and berries, but we do feed them dried mealworms from our feeder, they LOVE mealworms!

They'll check out the house for a while before they decide to settle in, just make sure the entrance to the box faces East!

Respected Contributor

My  son in law put up the nesting box for me. He put it in the middle of the lawn with nothing ese around it. I learned that blue birds do not like the boxes around trees. They like them out in the open where they feel less vunerable to predators. I did see a larger red bird sitting on top of the box the other day. I don't believe that bird could fit through the hole. Hope not. 

Honored Contributor

Regular Contributor

sweet! @KingstonsMom  

They're lucky to be with you!