Honored Contributor

Re: Anorexia treatment a luxury program and insurance refuses to treat it ?

She needs to go on the DR Phil show.... he sends everyone with eating disorders to really fancy places all paid for.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

The thing that makes  the Columbia program very unique is that it's free if you agree to be part of their research program.  I think what some may think of as "luxury" is that you stay as long as it takes because they are not constrained by insurance companies and limited inpatient hospital stays.  

It puzzles me that her physician did not contact the program director unless the young woman does not want to be a part of research or maybe she can't get to the mandatory start weight of 65 lbs? 

Well there you go, it would be free for her if she met the criteria set forth.  So it depends on how badly she wants to be included in the program.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

She is just pitiful looking. I hope someone can help her before it's too late. Perhaps it already is. She might be struggling to get to 65 lbs

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

She is just pitiful looking. I hope someone can help her before it's too late. Perhaps it already is. She might be struggling to get to 65 lbs

As sad as it may be, you cannot force people to help themselves.  They have to want to do it.  All you can do if offer them help and pray they take advantage of what has been offered.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I know @CrazyDaisy  but I still feel very sorry for her

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I didn't read the article but I read the comments. It really is sad when someone gets to this point, and as you said, perhaps it is too late. I'm reminded of the beautiful Karen Carpenter who was seemingly recovered only to die later from heart failure due to damage she had done to her body during her illness. I don't know the age or recommended weight of the person being discussed here, but 65 pounds is alarming to hear. I don't think Karen ever got close to being that thin.

Honored Contributor

No matter what insurance you have , from medicade to the besdt money can buy , it is very difficult to get insurance to pay for mental health care in this country.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

No matter what insurance you have , from medicade to the besdt money can buy , it is very difficult to get insurance to pay for mental health care in this country.

It’s not as hard as people think

There are many programs available for people today - much more than in the past.  Insurance companies allow much more coverage than in the past.   Patient compliance is often an issue - so are drug and alcohol issues coupled with the mental illness

Honored Contributor

God help anyone who has to reach 65 pounds to enlist. For many, that would be a death sentence.

As to the idea that she has to want treatment, oh please. When in the throes of such a condition, she cannot help herself or make rational decisions. If she in fact allows treatment, that in and of itself is a breakthrough.

Anorexia is a partiularly daunting condition to treat. And it is a particularly cruel and consuming one -- often causing extreme ill health and consequently death.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think if they can give prisoners a sex change operation to help with mental well being then this woman should get help with her mental health too.