Contributor

Why do some hosts use filler word uh or um so many times. So unprofessional and annoying.  Leah lovely person but uses um or uh a hundred times and throws in yeah for good measure.  Carolyn you are in competition with Leah.  You throw in so before you say uh or um.  I lose count when you two are talking.  Please to all of you, stop the and change.  Ninety eight cents is not change.  It is another dollar.   One host uses catch phrase and everyone jumps on band wagon.   As Susan Graver says all too much while continuously talking over a host.  Wow!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Annoying words from hosts.

Why do you watch?  Either turn the channel or mute the show.

Honored Contributor

Time to turn the tv off, get outside and take a walk. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Or get a hobby.

Or volunteer.

Or read a book.

Did I get all the possible alternatives that are always doled out?

Respected Contributor

Guess we must call the police to let them know you are held prisioner in front of you TV & made you watch QVC.

Contributor

I do mute the show.  Like to see products so I do what I need to do.

Honored Contributor

@grandme 

Do apologize for making light of your post. Highly recommend shopping online bypassing unnecessary dialogue. In the long run saves time.

Honored Contributor

I think hosts use filler words when they're multi-tasking - i.e. talking and listening to the man - or woman - in their ear simultaneously.  It's understandable.

Honored Contributor

Welcome to the boards @grandme.  I hope you enjoy your time here with us all.  I stopped watching the Q. four years ago.  I do not miss it and just view online instead and if I need a more info. about an item I play the video attached.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Grandme ... I agree completely.  In Public Speaking class, that is the first thing one is taught is to be aware of FILLER WORDS.... and to 'use your words' as we tell preschoolers!   The Q professional is usually educated, and is paid to focus on wording as not to take away from the presentation.   

Um's & Ah's usually happen when one is unprepared.   And as usual, the "turn the channel" posters are out in full force, they too should learn to use more intelligible wording.  @grandme