Valued Contributor

Re: Annoying comments people say when you're retired

@drizzellla wrote:

My last day before I retired, my co-worker came up to me and said "I don't know why you are retiring. All you do is sit on your sofa and watch TV. She said you don't go anywhere or do anything, like I do. She goes to California once a year to see her son"

I thought what a comment. I went to Alaska several months before. We went to a number of Baseball All Star Games. We went to London. We went to Mexico. We went to Baseball Spring training about a month before I retired. And went to Walt Disney World several times in the past few years. Plus lots of weekend trips to a cabin near the Finger Lakes or down to Ocean City, NJ.

I also was operated on for breast cancer shortly before I retired. 

Her comment just made me think - I am so glad I am retiring. She no longer has someone she can try and push all the work that she doesn't want to do.

Wow, what an insensitive clod.  You made the right choice to get out and get away from her. . And honestly, who cares if you decided to sit and watch TV for the rest of your life?  It's your life.  I'm pretty sure it was John Lennon who said time spent doing nothing was not time wasted.  Think about it. 

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I are both retired for quite a few years now and are both in our late 70's.    One of the things that we find annoying is when we go different places like haircuts, etc. is if it is close to the weekend some will ask  "so what are you doing this weekend?"    We usually reply  "probably not much and thats what we enjoy most".  Woman WinkMan Wink

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 @How awful! Some friend. You're better off without her.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla  OMG, your co-worker sounds so much like the one I left behind, when I retired after 32 years. I had worked with her for 22 years. She also had tried without success, to push her work onto me.

When her parents passed away, I hugged her and cried with her and was sympathetic. When my father inlaw, who pretty much had been my father since I was 16 passed away, I took my

four days off from work. I could not believe what I was hearing

when the day I returned she asked, "Did you enjoy your time off?"

Would you believe her name was Drusilla? I used to tease her that she had the same name as Caligula's sister.

We would talk and joke in the office, but she was not always very nice to me. It sounds like your co-worker was not

very nice to you. It seems that she was jealous that you did travel. I felt jealousy from my co-worker too.

I don't miss the job or anyone there.

Respected Contributor

I retired at 61 and when people would ask I would tell them: I do anything I want or I am loving my life.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I sa y "Anything I want to do.  Or not. " 

Honored Contributor

What do I do all day?

Some days I do nothing but the bare minimum,  some days I do lots and other days I only do what I feel like doing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I retired when I was 52. And when people ask what I do all day, I say  whatever the he## I feel like doing. 

Esteemed Contributor

On FB, I give updates on all our projects.  My cousin once said "Why are you doing all that?  You're retired."  I responded with "What should we be doing?  Sitting on the couch all day?"  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

What do I do all day?

Live!

Breathe!

Enjoy myself!

My passions have risen to the surface: I love to help those who are having trouble in any way.

I love to learn and purchase small works of art.

I still love to cook and to experiment with different techniques.

I love to make others feel better in whatever small way that I can.

My MIL every morning used to say to herself: HOW CAN I BE A BLESSING TODAY?

-Solar Smiley Happy