Honored Contributor

It amazes me that there are enough people who fall for these thieves so that it's worth their while to have so many people to answer those who actually accept the calls.

Respected Contributor

I don't know @Jordan2 but I just received a call less than 15 minutes ago...I am thinking it could be weather related after all of the rain from the last storm...If it continues tomorrow I will be calling the phone company!

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

It amazes me that there are enough people who fall for these thieves so that it's worth their while to have so many people to answer those who actually accept the calls.

@millieshops I would agree with you but lately the calls are coming from the same area code and are showing up as local calls. I answer because I do receive appt reminders and you just don't know the call is not local.  The thieves are evolving and I think most are using the Internet to actually make the calls.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Jordan2  Last year I put NomoRobo on my parents' landline and they were most appreciative, saying that it made a big difference.  They're in their 80's, and have Spectrum in Upstate New York.

I've had Nomorobo for a few years, and it's amazing.  I very rarely get calls I don't want.  Signing up was free and easy, and I'm really happy with it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops I would agree with you but lately the calls are coming from the same area code and are showing up as local calls. I answer because I do receive appt reminders and you just don't know the call is not local.  The thieves are evolving and I think most are using the Internet to actually make the calls.

Can't you just let those calls go to voicemail?  If it's legitimate and important, they'll leave a message.  That way you don't have to be bothered answering the phone and dealing with calls you want to avoid.

Just a suggestion.  :-)

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan Thanks for the suggestion...some calls do go to voicemail!

Respected Contributor

I too have Spectrum in Wisconsin and its been horrible.  I just put the nomorobo put on my account acctivated and hope that helps.  Its crazy.

Honored Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

I too have Spectrum in Wisconsin and its been horrible.  I just put the nomorobo put on my account acctivated and hope that helps.  Its crazy.

I put the NOMOROBO on my mother's account yesterday (Spectrum). So far today it has been quiet (yesterday was crazy). My mother is 90, she usually goes to bed at 9:00 or 10:00. Last night she went to bed at 9:00, a call comes in from a name I didn't recognize at 9:50 waking my mother up! Nearly 10:00 is too late to call someone unless you are a friend or close relative.

Honored Contributor

Well I spoke too soon, my mother just got a call that her called ID identified was her!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Well I spoke too soon, my mother just got a call that her called ID identified was her!

@Jordan2.  I get those. They have my name and my number.