Respected Contributor

Re: Annoyed with some bad customer reviews. Are you also annoyed for this reason?

[ Edited ]

I see what you mean. But there may be others who seek different, perhaps broader info about the brand or whatever  from reviews. Just pay attention to the reviews you find helpful and skip the rest! I don't usually read reviews myself.

Honored Contributor

Re: Annoyed with some bad customer reviews. Are you also annoyed for this reason?

My favorite reviews are the ones that say, 'I haven't received this yet but am axious to try it.' Uh-huh. Well, get back to us when you do.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetiredATC wrote:

Before I buy something I read the reviews, starting from the worst to the best.  I want to see what's wrong with the product, because I already think it's a good idea, or else I wouldn't be reading the reviews.  I have noticed that people give bad reviews on products because of shipping costs to return.  That's not a fault of the product.  I have noticed people giving bad reviews because they bought something else from a brand, and they don't like another item from that brand, so all items from that brand must be bad.  What really gets me, is that they give a bad review of a product, when what they are complaining about was obvious in the presentation or in the written description.  For example, there are reviews about a D&C top that has a hood.  People gave it bad reviews because of the hood--why buy it if you don't like the hood--that feature was not hidden in the presentation or description.  There are bad reviews on D&C's duster sweaters.  People say it should be tunic length.  They are dusters.  If you don't want the duster style, then don't buy it and give a bad review.  It's not just D&C, there have been many other items, other that clothes.  I see them because I read the bad reviews first.  I wish more common sense would be used in writing the reviews.

@RetiredATC- I hear you. They do it all the time on Amazon. People will give a book one star (the least you can leave) because the book came late, or there was a problem with the Kindle version. They don't review the content of the book, which is what those reviews are for. It makes me so angry that someone will give a book one star because they didn't like the cover or some other ridiculous reason. I feel so bad, especially if it's a new author and they depend so much on the reviews. People can be so stupid!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

One thing that annoys me is when they give it one or two stars, and they haven't even ordered the product!

I saw this with the Breezies TSV yesterday.  The bras had a two star review already.

I read the reviews and they were both about the fact that certain sizes weren't offered (like 32AA).

I usually scan the star ratings and use that to help form my judgement about a product if I'm in a hurry.

In this case, I think these two reviews leaving one or two stars is misleading.  The person who wrote the review is not complaining about the quality of the product itself.  

I don't think you should be able to write any review unless you've ordered and received the product.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

@RetiredATC

I agree completely! I get annoyed if I read a negative review, and the reviewer is complaining about things that have nothing to do with the quality of the product.

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@RetiredATC wrote:

Before I buy something I read the reviews, starting from the worst to the best.  I want to see what's wrong with the product, because I already think it's a good idea, or else I wouldn't be reading the reviews.  I have noticed that people give bad reviews on products because of shipping costs to return.  That's not a fault of the product.  I have noticed people giving bad reviews because they bought something else from a brand, and they don't like another item from that brand, so all items from that brand must be bad.  What really gets me, is that they give a bad review of a product, when what they are complaining about was obvious in the presentation or in the written description.  For example, there are reviews about a D&C top that has a hood.  People gave it bad reviews because of the hood--why buy it if you don't like the hood--that feature was not hidden in the presentation or description.  There are bad reviews on D&C's duster sweaters.  People say it should be tunic length.  They are dusters.  If you don't want the duster style, then don't buy it and give a bad review.  It's not just D&C, there have been many other items, other that clothes.  I see them because I read the bad reviews first.  I wish more common sense would be used in writing the reviews.

@RetiredATC- I hear you. They do it all the time on Amazon. People will give a book one star (the least you can leave) because the book came late, or there was a problem with the Kindle version. They don't review the content of the book, which is what those reviews are for. It makes me so angry that someone will give a book one star because they didn't like the cover or some other ridiculous reason. I feel so bad, especially if it's a new author and they depend so much on the reviews. People can be so stupid!

@sunala

I totally agree about the Amazon so called book reviews, if it wasnt so sad it would be funny.......One time a person gave a book a one star review because of the author's lavish lifestyle---nothing at all to do with the actual story or the actual content or writing style of the book..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Annoyed with some bad customer reviews. Are you also for this reason?

@millieshops wrote:

@CalminHeartI understand your point, but I agree much more with @RetiredATC.  When the review gives a product with a low rating for reasons having little to do with the actual product, I have a hard time thinking anything the reviewer has said is going to be all that helpful to me..

If I happen to notice the name and remember it for some reason I try not to read further reviews  -  just like posters do here.  They support or bash or ignore as they get more familiar with who's talking.   Sort of like my mother's advice from decades ago-  "consider the source, Millie"

I understand your position.  Some reviews are laughable.

You can't control others.  You can only control how you respond. Only Q controls these and the review passed their code/requirements.  It's over and done.  I just don't see the need to think about it, let alone get peeved or upset.  

Respected Contributor

@RetiredATC

I don't often post, but I am so in agreement with you.  I always read the reviews before I make a purchase.  I appreciate a well thought out, informative review.  I am finding sizes are all over the place these days, i.e., I ordered a pair of D & C french terry pants in a size large.  They were not the best, but I am retired and they were comfortable to run errands, run to the Dr., and perfect for my lifestyle.  I ordered the same identical pant in a size large in a different color.  They were not large, they were jumbo. I sent them back, re ordered the same pant, same color again, and once again they came and once again, at the very least and x large.  

I guess my point is, you need to read this type information in a review.  At least you would know that the odds are good that the sizing will be off.  That way, you will be forewarned.  The more detailed and informative a review, the more chances that I will or will not order a particular item.   

Honored Contributor

I dislike the reviews that get posted (good or bad) when the reviewer clearly states they didn't buy the product. QVC needs to stop that.

I dislike people giving four or five stars, then presenting a laundry list of things that are wrong with the product. Why do people give such a favorable number of stars to products with so many problems?

I dislike reviews of things that people have had out of the package for all of ten seconds. I would rather know how it is after you have worn, used, washed, the item and see if it is holding up well over time. 

A review with one sentence tells me nothing. I like details about all the aspects someone likes and all they don't. I like reviews that tell the good and the not so good of a product. 

I like the reviewer to tell what color or pattern etc they chose, especially if they have a problem with it. It would be nice to glean from reviews that the red ones faded but those who bought green and blue didn't have that problem. 

I do think that commenting on the packaging materials is beneficial to both other customers and the vendor/manufacturer whether it is a positive comment or a negative one. 

Honored Contributor

Earlier this  morning I was looking at the TS on HSN which is a hair remover device.  I decided to take a gander at the reviews.  2 of the reviews I came across right from the get go were complaining that they wanted to return the unit but no return label was included. 

One of the reviews went on to say she had to pay return s/h herself (as if she doesn't realize she pays using the label) and that she returned the item on 1/2/18 and as of the day of the review, 1/9/18, the item still didn't show as a return and she hadn't rec'd a refund.  Only 7 day from the date she returned the item had passed and she was complaining.  IMO that had no business being in her review of the product.  I can't even believe she's complaining when it's only been 7 days.  LOL