Honored Contributor

Re: Announced just now:Algae caused green diving 🏅

DISGUSTING!!!   No threat to athletes???  Who are they trying to kid?  Of course there certainly could be a threat.  Water gets into their mouths at the very least.  A threat????

There is NO WAY I would get in to that water.  How sad for the athletes.

How did this happen over night?  This is what I'd certainly want to know.  Next, what are doing about it?

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

It's happening in America, also, and several dogs have died from eating the algae.

I read an article this morning that said it's happening because oceans and other bodies of water are heating up  I can try to find the article again if anyone is interested.

Now your blaming algae in pools on global warming.  What next

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

DISGUSTING!!!   No threat to athletes???  Who are they trying to kid?  Of course there certainly could be a threat.  Water gets into their mouths at the very least.  A threat????

There is NO WAY I would get in to that water.  How sad for the athletes.

How did this happen over night?  This is what I'd certainly want to know.  Next, what are doing about it?

As I said, not all alge is toxic.

Some alge is edible, and are dense in nutrients.

I mean, you are aware that Algenest, a product sold on QVC, is made, in part, from alge, right?

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

My gosh, why are they even in Brazil if the conditions are this bad? I don't get it!

No, I've never heard Brazil referred to as a "third-world country", either, but that's beside the point that Olympic atheletes are supposed to dive into scummy water, where they can't even see the bottom?

Unbelievable.

This brings down the whole prestige of the Olympics.

Honored Contributor

I heard they were short on funds for the chemicals that they use to chlorinate the pools....

Respected Contributor

Yuck!!! And BTW Brazil was always considered as a third world country. They had a few lucky economical years( thanks to the US corporational policies), but they managed to blew it all due to their severe corruption and again third world mentality. 

I cannot be paid high enough to go there,even though I love the music, culture, food....

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Not all alge is toxic.

The cosmetic brand Algernist, boasts of using alge in its products.

Scientists are exploring using alge as an alternative energy source.

Some alge is even edible, and packed full of healthy nutriants.

@Plaid Pants2  Of course - but would YOU dive into that pool?  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

Lack of chlorine.  Our pool in Florida looked just like that when our chlorine dispenser broke.  Also means germs aren't being killed.

It may not be lack of chlorine, but lack of brushing and not enough filtering time. I know when we lived in the desert even with sufficient chlorine levels algae will form if the pool wasn't brushed often enough or the pump run long enough. I basically had to brush the pool daily because summer temps were 115 with over nights in 90-100. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Not all alge is toxic.

The cosmetic brand Algernist, boasts of using alge in its products.

Scientists are exploring using alge as an alternative energy source.

Some alge is even edible, and packed full of healthy nutriants.

LOL.  I hope you are not implying that Algenist and others get their algae from dank swimming pools as that is just hilarious. 

Algae is slippery and one can have an accident from stepping on it in a pool.  Algae consumes chlorine and the absence of chlorine means the feces that inevitability finds its way into a pool won't be rendered harmless when it finds its way up your nose or into your mouth.