Honored Contributor

Announced just now:Algae caused green diving 🏅

http://thedrocks.iheart.com/articles/weird-news-104673/olympics-officials-say-algae-turned-diving-14...

Algae (so thick divers could not see the bottom of the pool) caused no risk to athletes ... WHAT??

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Announced just now:Algae caused green diving 🏅

Maybe it's algae, maybe not.  In third world countries, you cannot expect the standards we have here in the USA. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

Lack of chlorine.  Our pool in Florida looked just like that when our chlorine dispenser broke.  Also means germs aren't being killed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Maybe it's algae, maybe not.  In third world countries, you cannot expect the standards we have here in the USA. 

I would expect it but then, I have an aversion to swimming in filth.

If they aren't able to provide sanitary areas for the atheletes, then they shouldn't be hosting and the atheletes shouldn't participate until they have clean facilities. JMO

Trusted Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I think it will be a while before we see the olympics in a third world country again.  The conditions are said to be horrendous!

Esteemed Contributor

While not without its problems, I have never seen Brazil referred to as a Third World country. Except here.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

Not all alge is toxic.

The cosmetic brand Algernist, boasts of using alge in its products.

Scientists are exploring using alge as an alternative energy source.

Some alge is even edible, and packed full of healthy nutriants.

Honored Contributor

Years ago when we were new pool owners our pool turned green. They need to make sure the pool chemicals are in balance. Looks like it needs some copper algaecide & a shock treatment. That's what we used when our pool turned green. We never had any problems with ours turning green after the 1st time. If their filtration system for that pool is not working it will do that.

Honored Contributor

It's happening in America, also, and several dogs have died from eating the algae.

I read an article this morning that said it's happening because oceans and other bodies of water are heating up  I can try to find the article again if anyone is interested.