Valued Contributor

Anniversary vacation ideas needed....

Hi all! My hubby and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Oct. I need some ideas of somewhere to go. 

We live on the East coast

Could only take 4 to five days off work

Love history and historic places

Hubby is not much of a beach person.

Flying is an option

Driving is an option

I really wanted to take an Amtrak train vacation, however, most of them are 7+ days. We just can't take that much time off. (We love trains)

We never go anywhere so this is MUCH needed. 

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Anniversary vacation ideas needed....

Charleston SC has tons of history and is beautiful in the Fall as is Bermuda.  We love them both and visited both pre-Covid many times.

Honored Contributor

Quebec City is beautiful and romantic.

Valued Contributor

Good to hear about Charleston. Amtrak even has a trip to there. 4 days, I think. That might be on the top 3 list. :-) 

BTW:

Amtrak has a route to Savanah and one to Charleton. Which do you think would be be nicer?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Colonial Williamsburg, VA.  Been there a couple of times.  Want to go back.  Great place!!

AND Amtrak goes there!!

Esteemed Contributor

North East or South East?

In October, I suggest a leaf-peeping trip thru Vermont, New Hampshire, and the Adirondacks in NY.  Catch the ferry at Burlington, Vermont to take a very short cruise on Lake Champlain over to Kent, NY, then down thru the Adirondacks to Lake George.  It's gorgeous in October.  

Or, there's always Cape Cod, which is lovely.  Lots to do - great restaurants.  You can take day cruises out to Martha's Vinyard which is great fun.

We've taken many road trips to the N.E.   An afternoon at Mystic Harbor in Connecticut is also fun.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Washington, DC. See national monuments and the Smithsonian. Lots of places to dine. Lodging at various price ranges.  Perfect for only a few days as it is pricey, but only if you stay longer than the 3-4 days. Especially good values if you arrive Friday and leave Monday or Tuesday. 
 I'd also recommend Montreal. Very pretty city, lots to do and see, superb food. 

Lots of excursion packages to many east coast locales if you book with AAA or similar agency. Also check AARP for trip packages.  Romance is up to the two of you, but there are loads of fine short stays that take you to nice places for affordable money and all arrangements included in the price per person. 

Respected Contributor

When making your plans, bear in mind that October is prime hurricane season on the East coast. Even if you're not going to a coastal location, other bodies of water like bays and estuaries can cause inland flooding in areas that you wouldn't expect to be affected. Williamsburg is far enough inland that hurricane flooding isn't usually a problem. Happy anniversary in advance! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good suggestions here.....I was also going to suggest Williamsburg or Charleston....great places to visit for a few days.  I have not been to Savannah but have heard good things.....do love Charleston though. 

Contributor

Winvian Resort in CT. You can chose from many "themed" cabins or maybe you prefer your room to be a helicopter- theres one of those too.
Glamping is also fun in designer tents with amenities- Governors Island NY has a glampground and theres also one in Kennebunkport, Maine.