Honored Contributor

Ann Turner Cook Original Gerber Baby Passes

FILE - Ann Taylor Cook, poses at her Tampa, Fla., home Wednesday afternoon Feb. 4, 2004, with a copy of her photo that is used on all Gerber baby food products. Ann Turner Cook, whose cherubic baby face was known the world over as the original Gerber baby, has died. She was 95. Gerber announced Cook's passing in an Instagram post on Friday, June 3, 2022. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File)

Many years before becoming an extraordinary mother, teacher and writer, her smile and expressive curiosity captured hearts everywhere and will continue to live on as a symbol for all babies," the company said.

Cook was 5 months old when a neighbor, artist Dorothy Hope Smith, drew a charcoal sketch of her that was later submitted for a contest Gerber was holding for a national marketing campaign for baby food.

The image was a hit, so much so that it became the company's trademark in 1931 and has been used in all packaging and advertising since.

For decades, though, the identity of the baby was kept secret, spurring rumors about who it was with guesses including Humphrey Bogart and Elizabeth Taylor.

In the late 1970s, it was revealed to be Cook, who grew up to be an English teacher in Tampa, Florida, and later a mystery novelist.

Cook told The Associated Press in a 1998 interview that her mother had told her when she was young that she was the baby in the illustration.

She said, ``If you’re going to be a symbol for something, what could be more pleasant than a symbol for baby food?″

As for the image itself, she said, “All babies are appealing. The reason that drawing has been so popular is the artist captured the appeal that all babies have.″

FILE - In this photo provided by Gerber,  Ann Turner Cook, whose baby face launched the iconic Gerber logo, arrives at NBC's Today Show to announce the winner of the 2012 Gerber Generation Photo Search on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012 in New York City.  Ann Turner Cook, whose cherubic baby face was known the world over as the original Gerber baby, has died. She was 95. Gerber announced Cook's passing in an Instagram post on Friday, June 3, 2022. ( (Amy Sussman/Gerber via AP, File)

Honored Contributor

Re: Ann Turner Cook Original Gerber Baby Passes

Another sorrowful passing of someone who represented a more innocent time and innocence itself (a baby).  Along with others, I mourn the passing of the first Gerber Baby.  Her sweet visage has remained with many of us throughout our lifetime.

She was like the baby next door.  It must have been pleasing to be that baby. 

Deepest condolences to her family and loved ones.

Honored Contributor

Rest in Peace,

PINK ROSE ON THE GRAVE AND LIGHTED CANDLES UNFOCUSED IN THE BACKGROUND. Candle Stock Photo

Trusted Contributor

When my son was tiny he absolutely loved that image.  I wrote to Gerber about it and they wrote back a nice letter saying many babies love the image, along with an 8 x 10 image of the Gerber baby.

Remember when we used to write to companies and get little cookbooks and coupons back?  I miss those simple days some times.

Honored Contributor

That was the most darling picture!  Condolences to her family.  A beautiful lady.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover wrote:

When my son was tiny he absolutely loved that image.  I wrote to Gerber about it and they wrote back a nice letter saying many babies love the image, along with an 8 x 10 image of the Gerber baby.

Remember when we used to write to companies and get little cookbooks and coupons back?  I miss those simple days some times.

@PilatesLover   I had something very similar happen to me.  After my first child was born, I had a picture taken & it looked so much like the Gerber baby.  So, I, too, wrote to the company along with the photo, etc.  They also sent me a lovely letter, pictures & coupons.  

All this was before email when you actually sent a letter in the mail.  LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread