Honored Contributor

Re: Ankle Monitoring! Who saw the 20/20 Show on What a Failure Much of this Is?

@Mominohio wrote:

I rarely watch shows like 20/20. I watch enough news and don't want to be consumed with these types of programs, but when it came on last night, we did watch. 

And I can't say I'm surprised by the findings, but disgusted by them for sure.

If we need more prisons, then we need more prisons, but people like those featured on that program should not be out. 

What really struck me was the brother and sister who survived being shot in the head. That really speaks to me. It says to me they have a mission they were put here for, and have lived to see it through. Perhaps it is to bring attention to this issue, and work for change so it doesn't happen to others. 

I don't know how anyone could watch that interview, look at two siblings who sustained bullets to the head, and lived, with what seems to be their full faculties intact, and not wonder what they are supposed to be doing with that second chance.

@Mominohio  I thought it was amazing that the brother and sister lived, too.  I also wondered what happened to the guy who was with the murderer.  Someone was with him and asked if he missed when he shot the girl.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I also didn't realize house arrest was for dangerous offenders. Easy for me to say, but I wish civil employees weren't underpaid and overworked. And appropriate hires were able to be made. It seems like we're asleep at the wheel regarding things that truly matter in our communities ... different subject.

As former foster parent, too often I've seen where broken people break people. Whether its parents breaking their children or broken children being unable to heal and socialize. Or neglectful government organizations breaking citizens. Heartbreaking. I'm not saying there isn't hope, but the entire dynamics of broken people is a difficult subject, at best.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

The only news my eyes see screened through Google feed, block organizations want nothing to do with. Helps me remain calm, as well don't watch programs mentioned here. There is a lot of propaganda, passed off as news. 

Honored Contributor

I had students when I taught high school who rolled up their pants to show off their ankle monitors....it was a status symbol!