Honored Contributor

Ankle Monitoring! Who saw the 20/20 Show on What a Failure Much of this Is?

I just finished watching a 20/20 report on ankle monitoring and just some (they found at least 50 people) who'd cut off the ankle monitoring.  

Many people had cut it off and gone on to kill people!

This is unbelievable!  Has anyone else heard of this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Ankle Monitoring! Who saw the 20/20 Show on What a Failure Much of this Is?

@Annabellethecat66  I watched that show.  It was shocking.  I'm so glad that man stopped when he saw the car off the road and found the mother and daughter.  They never would have caught that guy otherwise.  I can't believe the kind of criminals they allow to wear those ankle bracelets.  I hope this does become well known and they are able to stop this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I also saw the program and I found this appalling   No one wants to keep building prisons, but dangerous criminals, even those who are not adults, should not be on house arrest.  For some reason, I thought house arrest was for petty crimes.  I was definitely mistaken.  I know that we can find out how to do everything on YouTube and other sites, but tutorials like that should be banned, imo.

As disturbing was that young woman who said that the criminal's mother came and offered her money to drop the case.  Many wonder who raises such children and then we see the behavior of the mother.

As for the good samaritan, what a wonderful man.  He easily could have been a victim but risked his life as well.  

I am glad that I watched the show and I hope that every judge, jury member, lawyer, and anyone who is involved in the legal system also watched it, but I wonder how or if this will change how things are done in our judicial system.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl @NickNack Yes, in that one case it wasn't noticed that the ankle bracelet had been removed for 5 days.

I think it isn't as simple as devising another kind of bracelet (although that would definitely help).  I think the people who are in charge of monitoring these things are (like many other public servants) overworked and overloaded on cases.

As far as wondering how people turn out this way, I personally know someone who took over raising a young boy (age 7) from a drug addicted (Heroin and you name it) mother.  The mother is in rehab and the person (hopefully) can return the child to his mother soon.

It has been extremely difficult for this person (caring for the child) because her children have been raised entirely different.  So many things I hear about from this child, I was told I have my mouth open like, "Are you kidding?"

Already at the age of 7 this child has damage (how much is personality trait is unknown) that can never be reversed.  He's never satisfied.  He's been able to go places and do things never in his life-time would he have otherwise been able to do.  He's lived in a normal family that was taught how to be appreciative for life and things and STILL he is like a steamroller over the family's feelings.  He breaks everything out of anger and on and on.

Because it's a different state from where his family is, (and because it's temporary) psychological help is not available.  Every state has rules and gets money for these kids from the federal government.  

My friend has paid (out of his pocket) for swim lessons, tutor (you name it) because he's trying to help the kid.  But the kid fights (verbally and physically) every turn around.

They were supposed to go to Europe again this summer but unless the mom gets her act together and they can return the kid, they can't even go to Canada (as all planned).  In order to get a passport BOTH parents must be present and who knows where his father is.

Anyway, not excusing anything.  Just saying one has to wonder how much of it is genetic and environment that causes these people to be monsters (talking about adults).

Esteemed Contributor

This show made me wonder how many criminals were found not guilty in court because the defense attorney used the excuse that the client could not be guilty because he/she had a monitored ankle bracelet.  This is why I hope that every potential juror also watched.

@Annabellethecat66, as you pointed out, the people who are responsible for monitoring have a huge workload and are overworked.  As for your friend, I hope that as the young man gets older that he learns to appreciate what he has.  That might only happen when he has been returned to his mother, but I do believe that it will come to him one day.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl Well, I've always tried to think I'm an optimist but in this case (and I know about it very, very well) I can tell you he's probably a lost soul.   The damage was done, unfortunately.

His mom's been in rehab over and over before.  There are no more close family members who are responsible enough to care for him, so when he's returned to her...if she can't handle it...he's going into foster care (which isn't always bad).

He was taken last weekend to Busch Gardens.  This person said everyone was laughing in the ride and he turned to my friend and said, (frowning), "So, what are we going to do after this?"  The friend said, "Can't you just enjoy the ride for now?".  Again (another frown).  The friend said he was told that since he was born an addict that's the way they are.  It's as if he's ready to move on to the next 'fix' so to speak.  Really sad, but getting back to the beginning.....how much is environment and how much genetic.  They don't know HOW to enjoy the good and only see the negative and when it's not there, they look for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Entire justice system is broken. Cost of housing criminals is wrong. The beat goes on, as witnessd yesterday, predator Weinstein.

I give credit to NYS attorney-general, NYS goes after the bad guys. They don't care who, or how much money they have. You do the crime your doing time.

Looking forward, To watching Weinstein's smirk smile wiped out! Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

I saw parts of it and it is beyond belief.  Well, sadly not really.  Something should certainly be done about it.

I missed part of it because we were watching something local about the shooter in Oklahoma City at a restaurant and the two guys that got their guns out of their trucks and shot him.

I am amazed at how quickly those guys acted, but warned the shooter "Put it down, Put it down" before firing.  Yikes!  People remained remarkably calm and the three people wounded are going to be ok I believe.  

I was just thining about that and what if he had survived, gotten an ankle bracelet and would have been who knows where around town . . . REALLY makes you stop and think! 

Honored Contributor

Well, kinda different but similar in that it's about criminals.  

I've never understood why they aren't EXPECTED to go to classes or do something where they learn a trade in order to get some kind of job when they get out.

I understand they are being punished.  However, the public is being punished too because when they get out they've only learned in jail how to break the law and MAYBE get away with it better.

It's that adage about how idle minds and hands aren't good.

It different for killers.  They should NEVER get out of jail anyway.

This country is so screwed up on so many things.  Like my Grandma used to say (regarding the different laws for each state):  "The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing".

People who come here from other countries often don't understand how laws in each state are very different.  I see and hear about that all of the time.

We are United but yet we aren't (as far as state's laws go).

Whoa!  Typical of me....I've gone off.... but at least this time it's my Original Post and the subject is somewhat similar.....I think....

To other posters.  If your ears are burning (as grandma used to say) it means someone's talking about you.

Well, everyone's ears must be burning because I'm often talking to people I come in contact with (i.e. stores, Drs, friends, etc) about all of you.  I talk about how wonderful it is to 'converse' with people who are from all over the US, different ages, nationalities (somewhat), beliefs, etc.  I love hearing other ideas from every one of you.  Sometimes I even change my mind from reading posts.

Just taking a minute to say, "Thanks".

Honored Contributor

I rarely watch shows like 20/20. I watch enough news and don't want to be consumed with these types of programs, but when it came on last night, we did watch. 

And I can't say I'm surprised by the findings, but disgusted by them for sure.

If we need more prisons, then we need more prisons, but people like those featured on that program should not be out. 

What really struck me was the brother and sister who survived being shot in the head. That really speaks to me. It says to me they have a mission they were put here for, and have lived to see it through. Perhaps it is to bring attention to this issue, and work for change so it doesn't happen to others. 

I don't know how anyone could watch that interview, look at two siblings who sustained bullets to the head, and lived, with what seems to be their full faculties intact, and not wonder what they are supposed to be doing with that second chance.