Honored Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@gidgetgh - It's a small, family-owned market?  Their market, their cat.  I agree with some others that the cat will control any rodent issues.  MUCH better than all the chemicals big farms use to "protect" us.

My local feed store has a cat that is always present and usually ends up sitting on the counter.  I've never come away with any issues from this.  (Mind you, I do have four cats and I've never gotten ill from any of them either.)

You're okay with a dog in the store, but not a cat?  (Dogs are notorious for the questionable things they get into...just sayin'.)  Yes, it's definitely a "cat issue" for you.

My advice is the same as others:  shop elsewhere.

@Venezia- you're exactly right. "Their market, their cat". But it's partially my money that helps keep their business open. But you're exactly right. With their business they can do whatever they want. So I'll just shop elsewhere if I can't get past it. It's really no big deal in the long run. 

@gidgetgh

I doubt very much you will be missed..............

@MalteseMomma- that's not very nice. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Gosh................simple solution...............

WASH your produce before eatiing!!!!!!!!        

no more problem....................

.if you are so allergic that you cannot shop there then shop somewhere else......they do not need your $ 

What makes you feel so impt!!!!!

@MalteseMomma- is there really a need for you to be so rude to me?  Twice in the same thread. I get your point. No one will ever care if I ever shop there again. I get it. No one cares. Trust me, I understand. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma

I would totally agree in those extreme situations, I know if I was dying I would want to see my pets before I passed if it was at all possible.  This was not the case for the dog in the hospital.  The man was there for tests…not the type related to dying.  That dog is just their constant companion (like their child) and they believe because they love so much it that means it can go anywhere they go.  I have a problem with that thinking – especially in a medical setting. I am old fashioned enought to still believe you need to take other people into consideration and make special arrangements to make special events happen.

I saw a story on the news a few years ago about a little girl who dearly loved horses and she was hospitalized with a potentially life threatening diagnosis.   She did not own a horse, but loved every horse she ever met.  The hospital arranged for the mounted police to come to the lobby door of the hospital and she was wheeled out in her wheel chair to spend time with the horses.  The medical staff said that animal visit made more improvement in her health than all the treatments combined.   She had renewed strength & hope.  She had a long road ahead of her, but she survived and still has a lasting friendship with the police officers who came to visit with their horses. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I could swear there was another thread about animals in grocery stores yesterday...only it was about dogs in that one. Popular topic...animals in stores.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

@nana59

I guess so if you like pesticides and rodent controll products in your veggies  Smiley Wink

@MalteseMomma aren't pesticides used to grow most vegetables?  How much choice do we have?

@itiswhatitis

I would like to think the cat prevents rodents from eating  the produce after it is harvested and has been placed in the store..............       Smiley Happy  thank you

@MalteseMomma, no need to thank me.  Anyway, there is no getting around the pesticide thing (that was my point).  Got nothing to do with the cats roaming around the store.

I don't get what's so difficult here. Yes, all produce except 100% organic has had pesticides used on it in the field.

After produce is picked, put in warehouses, trucked, and then stored in grocery warehouses and ultimately in individual stores, it is susceptible to mice and rats - and bugs. Sitting in a warehouse, or in a grocery store, the pesticides sprayed on it in the field do diddly to protect it from such live creatures. These pesticides become irrelevant to the point of having a vermin-killer on site. On site - be it a grocery chain, roadside stand or restaurant, pesticides are routinely sprayed at the premises to keep vermin away.  Keeping an animal that will kill said vermin without needing to use pesticides there is the point.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I could swear there was another thread about animals in grocery stores yesterday...only it was about dogs in that one. Popular topic...animals in stores.

When I saw the OP's topic, I thought someone had dragged up an old thread.

@SilleeMee

Respected Contributor

I don't mind a cat in a store because I realize it's most likely a "working" cat.  What bothers me is when when people feel entitled to carry around little lap dogs in grocery stores. I don't buy this new BS about shopping "therapy dogs."

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

cat is probably a more effective way

shop cats are cute

sorry-i don't agree...

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Gosh................simple solution...............

WASH your produce before eatiing!!!!!!!!        

no more problem....................

.if you are so allergic that you cannot shop there then shop somewhere else......they do not need your $ 

What makes you feel so impt!!!!!

@MalteseMomma- is there really a need for you to be so rude to me?  Twice in the same thread. I get your point. No one will ever care if I ever shop there again. I get it. No one cares. Trust me, I understand. 

gidgetgh-i have come to realize that you have to be an incredible lover of animals, especially cats, if you want to be treated with respect...ugh....i get your point....

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

Sorry about your allergic situation but most farmers markets I've frequented have a dog or cat "roaming" around.  Doesn't bother me BUT what does:

Standing in the deli counter in my local Publix and see a customer holding or their dog is sitting in the carriage seat and getting samples for them! (Not a service dog I'm sure - no tags on collar, etc).

Drives me crazy!! Pets have a place but not in traditional food stores IMO unless they are "service" pets!

Recently, was in WM and this young guy had a ferret in his arms come up to deli counter -- I left!!!! Ridiculous!!!!