Honored Contributor

The famous Napa Valley wine country: go to any little store and most likely you will see a cat there.

SF bookstores: almost every one has a cat on the counter.

I am allergic to cats, I love them in stores and I have two at home. Sometimes the cats at home bother me, but I follow dr.'s orders and keep them out of our bedroom.  Cats in a store never bother me, I don't pet them, so I'm fine.  I don't pet them for our girls' safety, not because I'm allergic.

I think the problem here is not liking cats, not allergies.

Honored Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

@chrystaltree wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Shop elsewhere.

I agree there's plenty of stores that didn't take in a stray cat or give a cat a home. I would rather shop at a store that gave an animal a home myself. Shelters are full, plus foster homes for cats don't get many takers and it's really sad.

Not to mention that the farm where those vegetables came from had cats.  Farms always have cats.

FIELDS at the farms have coyotes, bobcats, bears, dogs, rats, mice, birds (look out below!!!!), snakes, flies, people with dirty boots, etc.  And not to mention vegetables are grown in dirt.  A coyote may have "p'd" on your watermelon.   There is danger everywhere.

BUT, in grocery stores, no animals unless service animals.   REAL service animals. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  You asked for "your thoughts."  You got them.  Then you call them "condescending, expected."   After that, you give reason (in your mind), "so others can hate me also."   You finish this more recent post with a petulant, "I'm entitled to feel that way.  . ." 

In the future, it might be best for you to not ask questions to which you don't want to hear the answers.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I'm disappointed if I don't see a cat on a pillow by the cash register in a book or yarn shop😻

Try making eye contact with the cat, @gidgetgh.  I've never tried it but supposedly a cat will not like that and shy away from you.

Honored Contributor

I shop elsewhere. I've had a run-in with a business owner whose business I used for 25 years and then stopped because of the 3 dogs she allowed full run of the place. One of my boys is allergic... and everything in her shop had either their hair or dander on it  plus the place stunk...especially when it rained.  I told her why. She huffed and walked away.

Her right just as it was mine to take my money someplace else *shrugs*.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

@nana59 Most likely the other ways are chemical and toxic.  I would rather wash the produce of cat hair and whatever else than try to remove chemicals.......if that is at all possible.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@gidgetgh  You asked for "your thoughts."  You got them.  Then you call them "condescending, expected."   After that, you give reason (in your mind), "so others can hate me also."   You finish this more recent post with a petulant, "I'm entitled to feel that way.  . ." 

In the future, it might be best for you to not ask questions to which you don't want to hear the answers.  

@IamMrsG- I'm not being petulant.  I am entitled to my viewpoint just as everyone is.  And some of the responses were condescending. People can express their opinions without being rude. I do appreciate the responses, but people don't have to be rude. As for some of the condescending comments?  I always expect them from some posters, on any thread, not just mine. 

And you don't need to instruct me on how and when to post. I can take care of that myself. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Something else just occurred to me.

We've all heard ad nauseum how many recalls there have been for contaminated food sold in "pristine" supermarkets.

Has this family-owned farmer's market ever had to recall any of their produce?  Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@gidgetgh - It's a small, family-owned market?  Their market, their cat.  I agree with some others that the cat will control any rodent issues.  MUCH better than all the chemicals big farms use to "protect" us.

My local feed store has a cat that is always present and usually ends up sitting on the counter.  I've never come away with any issues from this.  (Mind you, I do have four cats and I've never gotten ill from any of them either.)

You're okay with a dog in the store, but not a cat?  (Dogs are notorious for the questionable things they get into...just sayin'.)  Yes, it's definitely a "cat issue" for you.

My advice is the same as others:  shop elsewhere.

@Venezia- you're exactly right. "Their market, their cat". But it's partially my money that helps keep their business open. But you're exactly right. With their business they can do whatever they want. So I'll just shop elsewhere if I can't get past it. It's really no big deal in the long run. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

The allergy thing doesn't bother anyone at all?  I guess if it doesn't affect you then it couldn't possibly be a problem or an area of discomfort for anyone else. 

I appreciate the comments, even the condescending (and expected) ones. 

I freely admit that I don't care for cats. I don't have experience with them because I can't spend much time around them. I'm wary of them.  But I would never hurt anyone's cat and if you love your cat, then I'm happy for you. All pets should be loved by their family. 

But I'll be equal opportunity here so others can hate me also.  If it were certain breeds of dogs (and I like most dogs) I wouldn't even pull in the parking lot.  There you have it. 

I know how we get food. My grandfather was a farmer and I'm also pretty smart. No, I don't think all of our foods are sanitary. I just don't like cats roaming around in stores or restaurants or farmers markets while I'm there spending my money.  I'm entitled to feel that way. And as several of you have pointed out (some more than once) if it's that big a deal, then I shouldn't shop there.  And you're exactly right. 

Your allergy issue doesn't bother me at all, correct. Your allergy issue is your problem, and dealing with it is your responsibility, the same as for the rest of the world. A business certainly shouldn't have to change its practices because one small, easily ignored feature inconveniences or displeases you. 

You think people are HATING YOU here? Are you kidding me? This is a civil, courteous discussion of the issues you raised. The only thing approaching "hatred" seems to be your feeling for cats. You surely knew how that was likely to go down before you posted. Not well.

I also don't see condescension in the replies. And if the responses you got were "expected," why do you have any problem with them, anyway?

You really don't have the right to lay this stuff on us. We're responding to you honestly and fairly, you don't like much of the feedback, and you're responding with hostility and name-calling. This is the kind of thing that generates unhappiness and ill will on the forums. It's not necessary and it's not right.