Honored Contributor

Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

My husband and I like to buy our vegetables at a local smallish, family owned, farmer's market type place. It's a metal building so it's all inside. The plants they sell are outside. We've been going there for years. 

The last several times we've gone (5-6) they've had a cat there....inside.  It wanders around, amongst the food and the customers. The cat seems very friendly, but I, in no way, shape or form, am interested in having a cat wandering around with open bins of vegetables. 

I don't want to make this into a cat issue, but I'm severely allergic to them. Can't be around them at all. And they seem to sense my disinterest and they flock to me like a homing pigeon.  It's a real turnoff to me to be honest. 

A few years ago, we went into our local bird seed store. When we walked in, a cat was sitting on a bag of bird seed. It then proceeded to jump up on the counter by the cash register. 

When we went to pay, I couldn't even put my purchases on the counter. The cat had since moved, but I wasn't interested in getting cat hair on me because I'd have to go home and change. 

Anyway....thoughts on this?  The bird seed store sometimes has a dog there and I'm ok with that, but a cat amongst the food, especially at the farmer's market is getting to be a deal breaker to me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

Shop elsewhere.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I am HIGHLY allergic to cats and many other things so I ALWAYS carry life saving meds.

Would a cat in a large open style building you describe bother me, No.

The cat probably keeps the rats and mice away.  I do have a problem with rodents crawling over my produce.

You may want to stick with grocey stores.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Shop elsewhere.

I agree there's plenty of stores that didn't take in a stray cat or give a cat a home. I would rather shop at a store that gave an animal a home myself. Shelters are full, plus foster homes for cats don't get many takers and it's really sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think maybe the cats are there to catch rodents........

I think I would rather shop with a cat  present than rodents picking on the produce.

I too am severly allergic to cats  but I live with them   <3  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Shop elsewhere.

@QVCkitty1- and that's probably what we'll do. It's a real shame since we've been shopping there for 12 years, but I imagine if it's a turn off for me, then it probably is for others as well (and not for others). 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I love seeing a cat in a store. I don't want to see them in the deli case or around that kind of food, but vegetables? That were in the ground until recently? The ground, where who knows what kind of animals have done their business? Where the field workers may have done theirs? If a cat strolling the aisles reminds you to clean those vegetables carefully before preparing or eating them, it's an asset, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Shop elsewhere.

@QVCkitty1- and that's probably what we'll do. It's a real shame since we've been shopping there for 12 years, but I imagine if it's a turn off for me, then it probably is for others as well (and not for others). 

That's right, it wouldn't bother me, but we all have to decide what are the deal breakers in life.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh@If it was a small family farm, those vegetables were probably grown in soil that had been spread with manure, rodents, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, all ran through the fields.

Take your vegetables home and wash them or shop elsewhere. People have done farming this way for centuries.

Esteemed Contributor

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?