Respected Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I'm extremely afraid of animals.  If it upset me to see a cat or a dog in a store, I would avoid going there. 

@gidgetgh, sorry your thread upset you.  You know how this place works.  LOL

@Bri36- I'll survive it, LOL. I appreciate your post. And yes I sure do know how this place works. 

It basically boils down to the fact that I'd prefer not to shop with animals (other than service animals) , but especially cats because I'm allergic to them and they seem to sense that I'm wary of them and come right to me. 

And it was off to the races from there.

I'm not allergic to them.  I'm just afraid of them.

The hardware store had a cat.  I would see the cat walking around.  Every time I turned the corner, there was the cat.  The last time I went into the hardware store, I was getting light bulbs.  I'm reaching for a package from the back of the shelf - all of a sudden, the cat lunged at me.  I never saw it.  It scared the life out of me.  I had to run out of the store - and I never went back again. 

I've seen customers oohing and aahing over the cat.  I don't begrudge the owner from having the cat.  I don't begrudge the customers who enjoy the cat from seeing the cat.  Obviously, I'm not buying food at the hardware store so it's not a health issue. 

I woudln't expect the owner to not have the cat just because of me.  I just decided it wasn't a store I felt comfortable in anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@itiswhatitis. I really don't see this as a pets over humans issue. I think it is a cultural difference between country folk and urban people.

I don't think it is particularly a cultural thing, I think it is an individual preference.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I'm extremely afraid of animals.  If it upset me to see a cat or a dog in a store, I would avoid going there. 

@gidgetgh, sorry your thread upset you.  You know how this place works.  LOL

@Bri36- I'll survive it, LOL. I appreciate your post. And yes I sure do know how this place works. 

It basically boils down to the fact that I'd prefer not to shop with animals (other than service animals) , but especially cats because I'm allergic to them and they seem to sense that I'm wary of them and come right to me. 

And it was off to the races from there.

I'm not allergic to them.  I'm just afraid of them.

The hardware store had a cat.  I would see the cat walking around.  Every time I turned the corner, there was the cat.  The last time I went into the hardware store, I was getting light bulbs.  I'm reaching for a package from the back of the shelf - all of a sudden, the cat lunged at me.  I never saw it.  It scared the life out of me.  I had to run out of the store - and I never went back again. 

I've seen customers oohing and aahing over the cat.  I don't begrudge the owner from having the cat.  I don't begrudge the customers who enjoy the cat from seeing the cat.  Obviously, I'm not buying food at the hardware store so it's not a health issue. 

I woudln't expect the owner to not have the cat just because of me.  I just decided it wasn't a store I felt comfortable in anymore. 

@Bri36- I'm sorry that happened to you and I wouldn't have gone back either. To be honest, I'm wary of animals and afraid of larger dogs and I can certainly understand your fear. I adore my sister's two dogs, but with one of them, you have to be very careful. He's high strung and I'm always very careful around him.  Never let my guard down. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Animals and children are different.  I never understand why someone has to compare an animal to a child. 

People who sneak their pets into stores and restaurants are extremely selfish. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, I was almost attacked by a dog on leash when I was little.  It jumped up on me and knocked me down.  It was barking and growling in my face.  It was frightening.  I'm always careful of dogs. 

Cats can bite and scratch.  I wouldn't like one jumping up on me or lunging toward me.  I can feel the anxiety rising when I'm around one. 

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Personally, I would never want a cat - who walks into their litter where they have toileted - then walk in my kitchen or be on my bed. Gross.And the same for them being in a store that sells food.It usedv to be against the law to bring animals into food stores or restaurants but the handicapped rights folks got into this and now these pets are everywhere. They aren't properly trained most times, which is why the owners can't leave them at home in many cases. 

I was getting a watch battery at the jewelry store and I felt something furry on my leg. I jumped a mile and the owner barely caught me before I fell. It was some lady's bull dog, walking between my legs. Had I fallen I would have sued that woman without the slightest bit of regret for doing it.

Do you ever walk outside and then into your kitchen?  

How does walking outside relate to walking thru where you have peed & pooped.Cats walk in their pee & poop.

How can someone be so daft yet still manage a computer?

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Something else just occurred to me.

We've all heard ad nauseum how many recalls there have been for contaminated food sold in "pristine" supermarkets.

Has this family-owned farmer's market ever had to recall any of their produce?  Just a thought.

If they haven't I am positive they would have had the farmers markets been FDA inspected regularly.  With food comes some degree of filth.  

Honored Contributor

I'm still thinking that many have forgotten or ignored that the farmer's market in question was indoors. IMO, that should make it subject to local ordinances.

As a matter of fact, in my little beach town, which is arguably the most pet-friendly place I've ever seen,  the weekly outdoor certified farmer's market has a sign that dogs are not allowed. I wonder that it might be more a matter of liability than anything else. As for cats, I doubt they could do anything about that. Cats go where they want to, thank you very much. :-)

I am more a dog person than a cat person these days, although I loved the cats we had long ago when we were first married.

Once when I as a teen at my friend's house, I was petting her cat on my lap when out of nowhere the cat attacked my head. I wasn't hurt, but man, that did scare the heck out of me. So I do understand how some experiences with an animal can stay with us.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina. Yes that's what I mean, farmer see animals for purposes other than just pets although they have and love pets also.

For instance a ground hog is cute to some people, a farmer sees crop damage and borrows that can collapse and roll a tractor. So they shot them. Some would say live trap it and relocate it. A ground hog will not survive the winter if he has to spend his fat and muscle stores to dig a new home. So it dies anyway of starvation. 

A bird is beautiful and sings, a farmer sees them ruin the peach crop.

Barn cats serve to catch rodents, but they still get good care.

I could go on but yes country people see animals through different lenses.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@itiswhatitis. I really don't see this as a pets over humans issue. I think it is a cultural difference between country folk and urban people.

I'm not understanding. Do you mean "country folk" are more tolerant of pets/animals over urban people?  If that's what you mean, you couldn't be more wrong.

(@Nomorebirthdays - I copied/pasted your post below)

Nomorebirthdays said: 

@SaRina. Yes that's what I mean, farmer see animals for purposes other than just pets although they have and love pets also.

For instance a ground hog is cute to some people, a farmer sees crop damage and borrows that can collapse and roll a tractor. So they shot them. Some would say live trap it and relocate it. A ground hog will not survive the winter if he has to spend his fat and muscle stores to dig a new home. So it dies anyway of starvation.

------------------------------------------------------

That's not what I was asking. I think we're on completely different pages, but that's okay.  It's not important. :-)