Respected Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

The allergy thing doesn't bother anyone at all?  I guess if it doesn't affect you then it couldn't possibly be a problem or an area of discomfort for anyone else. 

I appreciate the comments, even the condescending (and expected) ones. 

I freely admit that I don't care for cats. I don't have experience with them because I can't spend much time around them. I'm wary of them.  But I would never hurt anyone's cat and if you love your cat, then I'm happy for you. All pets should be loved by their family. 

But I'll be equal opportunity here so others can hate me also.  If it were certain breeds of dogs (and I like most dogs) I wouldn't even pull in the parking lot.  There you have it. 

I know how we get food. My grandfather was a farmer and I'm also pretty smart. No, I don't think all of our foods are sanitary. I just don't like cats roaming around in stores or restaurants or farmers markets while I'm there spending my money.  I'm entitled to feel that way. And as several of you have pointed out (some more than once) if it's that big a deal, then I shouldn't shop there.  And you're exactly right. 

@gidgetgh I think you should write a letter to the owners and let them know how you feel. You are a good writer and it's always more impressive than speaking to someone in person. In answer to your question, I'm allergic to both cats and dogs but have never encountered a cat in a market..not sure how I'd feel.  Never liked seeing a great big dog in  grocery store but don't mind the kind that are carried. 

sorry if you got a notifcation more than once as I had an edit. 

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

As a pet owner, I enjoy seeing pets in a store.  I do not want them in the salad bar or in the deli counter, but just wandering around and sitting in the windows is fine with me.  I wash whatever produce I bring home, and I would rather have cat hair (just like home) to wash off than some of the things that have been found in produce.

I have to say that I've never seen a cat in a salad bar or on the deli counter.

I don't like cat on my salad anyway. I prefer chicken. 

@PurpleBunny

😄

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I could swear there was another thread about animals in grocery stores yesterday...only it was about dogs in that one. Popular topic...animals in stores.

Seems to be one of the few topics still allowed to be discussed that end up being "controversial"

Honored Contributor

"When we went to pay, I couldn't even put my purchases on the counter. The cat had since moved, but I wasn't interested in getting cat hair on me because I'd have to go home and change" 

@gidgetgh  Offhand I'd say you need to lighten up, chill out, and relax.  Nobody becomes inundated with cat fur standing next to a cat. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Personally, I would never want a cat - who walks into their litter where they have toileted - then walk in my kitchen or be on my bed. Gross.And the same for them being in a store that sells food.It usedv to be against the law to bring animals into food stores or restaurants but the handicapped rights folks got into this and now these pets are everywhere. They aren't properly trained most times, which is why the owners can't leave them at home in many cases. 

I was getting a watch battery at the jewelry store and I felt something furry on my leg. I jumped a mile and the owner barely caught me before I fell. It was some lady's bull dog, walking between my legs. Had I fallen I would have sued that woman without the slightest bit of regret for doing it.

This is just so surprising to me!

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

The allergy thing doesn't bother anyone at all?  I guess if it doesn't affect you then it couldn't possibly be a problem or an area of discomfort for anyone else. 

I appreciate the comments, even the condescending (and expected) ones. 

I freely admit that I don't care for cats. I don't have experience with them because I can't spend much time around them. I'm wary of them.  But I would never hurt anyone's cat and if you love your cat, then I'm happy for you. All pets should be loved by their family. 

But I'll be equal opportunity here so others can hate me also.  If it were certain breeds of dogs (and I like most dogs) I wouldn't even pull in the parking lot.  There you have it. 

I know how we get food. My grandfather was a farmer and I'm also pretty smart. No, I don't think all of our foods are sanitary. I just don't like cats roaming around in stores or restaurants or farmers markets while I'm there spending my money.  I'm entitled to feel that way. And as several of you have pointed out (some more than once) if it's that big a deal, then I shouldn't shop there.  And you're exactly right. 

Your allergy issue doesn't bother me at all, correct. Your allergy issue is your problem, and dealing with it is your responsibility, the same as for the rest of the world. A business certainly shouldn't have to change its practices because one small, easily ignored feature inconveniences or displeases you. 

You think people are HATING YOU here? Are you kidding me? This is a civil, courteous discussion of the issues you raised. The only thing approaching "hatred" seems to be your feeling for cats. You surely knew how that was likely to go down before you posted. Not well.

I also don't see condescension in the replies. And if the responses you got were "expected," why do you have any problem with them, anyway?

You really don't have the right to lay this stuff on us. We're responding to you honestly and fairly, you don't like much of the feedback, and you're responding with hostility and name-calling. This is the kind of thing that generates unhappiness and ill will on the forums. It's not necessary and it's not right.

@noodleann

I agree with you.  I've read every post on four pages up to the one where the OP gets rude herself.  I haven't seen anything worthy of triggering those comments.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Personally, I would never want a cat - who walks into their litter where they have toileted - then walk in my kitchen or be on my bed. Gross.And the same for them being in a store that sells food.It usedv to be against the law to bring animals into food stores or restaurants but the handicapped rights folks got into this and now these pets are everywhere. They aren't properly trained most times, which is why the owners can't leave them at home in many cases. 

I was getting a watch battery at the jewelry store and I felt something furry on my leg. I jumped a mile and the owner barely caught me before I fell. It was some lady's bull dog, walking between my legs. Had I fallen I would have sued that woman without the slightest bit of regret for doing it.

Oh the visualizations that sentence evoked.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Regarding allergies - I have allergies to pet dander. Two close family members have asthma that requires inhalers weekly. We have all had cats and dogs most of our lives.  

None of us have given up our pets. None of us have symptoms unless we pick the cat or dog up, pet it extensively, and put it/keep it close to our faces or stick our faces in its hair/fur. No severe reactions to simply sharing four walls with an animal we are allergic to.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

It wouldn't bother me to have a cat in a farmer's market type of store.   Where I buy my wild bird seed they have a cat and she just wanders around and pretty much ignores everyone.  

However the reason I decided to respond to this post was a comment that was made about having resident cats roaming around a veterinary hospital.    As I've mentioned before most of my career was spent in the veterinary field so I've seen many different situations unfold.    When I first started working I began as a receptionist and within this  particular hospital they had a cat roaming around.  It was actually very annoying because this cat would jump up on the desk and completely knock everything around and just become a pest.   There was also the constant fear of a large dog coming in and attacking the cat.  As the receptionist I was busy enough without having to monitor the cat everytime someone entered the office.  

I decided to speak to the doctor about this situation.  I had to carefully choose my words because he was the doctor and owner of the practice.   He told me that everyone enjoyed the cat and he saw no problem with this.   The cat was allowed to roam wherever he felt like.

As you can probably figure out by now it did not turn out well.   One day a client entered the office with two large dogs and did not see the cat sitting on the chair in the room.  The dogs immediately pounced on the cat and even with both of us trying to stop the attack they ended up killing the cat.   it was not only a heartbreaking thing to see but definitely one that did not need to happen if the resident cat had not been allowed to roam 

After I moved on from that hospital and subsequently went into veterinary office management I never worked at another hospital who allowed a resident animal to just roam freely.    Many times clients would tell me about another hospital they used to take their animals to that had some cats in the waiting room.  They would ask me why we didn't and I would just say that isn't wasn't hospital policy to have animals up front.

It might seem cute to see that cat sitting on the desk or jumping up on the chair while you are waiting but take my word it isn't a good situation.     Animals are stressed enough when they enter a veterinary hospitals.   Don't even ask me what I think about people allowing their animals to go up to strange animals.  That's a different subject for a different day.   I'll include it in my opinion of dog parks!

My apologies to the op for hijacking her post.  I just saw a comment about resident veterinary office animals and I had to share my sad experience.  

@J Town Girl

I understand your reaction, but there is another side. We've had the same vet for a very long time. His hospital has a couple of cats roaming around and he told me they were emergency blood donors.  Apparently they were unfazed the few times they were needed.  For sure it would have been inhumane to keep them caged.

Respected Contributor

Anyone who owns a cat knows it will do what it wants when the owner isn't around. And sometimes when the owner IS around.