Honored Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

[ Edited ]

As a cat owner of two, I have no desire to see cats in stores.

And there is no reason for cats to be in my kitchen.

I think it's disgusting to let cats walk all over counters and kitchen tables and lay in sinks (why??).

I was chided because I said I washed my hands each and every time I pet one of my cats.

It was the same when we had a dog.

I think it's gross for someone not to.

I simply wouldn't shop there any more.

I wonder if it's even legal to have a cat around food being sold.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

@nana59

I guess so if you like pesticides and rodent controll products in your veggies  Smiley Wink

@MalteseMomma aren't pesticides used to grow most vegetables?  How much choice do we have?

@itiswhatitis

I would like to think the cat prevents rodents from eating  the produce after it is harvested and has been placed in the store..............       Smiley Happy  thank you

@MalteseMomma, no need to thank me.  Anyway, there is no getting around the pesticide thing (that was my point).  Got nothing to do with the cats roaming around the store.

I don't get what's so difficult here. Yes, all produce except 100% organic has had pesticides used on it in the field.

After produce is picked, put in warehouses, trucked, and then stored in grocery warehouses and ultimately in individual stores, it is susceptible to mice and rats - and bugs. Sitting in a warehouse, or in a grocery store, the pesticides sprayed on it in the field do diddly to protect it from such live creatures. These pesticides become irrelevant to the point of having a vermin-killer on site. On site - be it a grocery chain, roadside stand or restaurant, pesticides are routinely sprayed at the premises to keep vermin away.  Keeping an animal that will kill said vermin without needing to use pesticides there is the point.

@Moonchilde yeah.....I know.  Some folks had better get a true understanding of what Organic means.  Before the big organic craze no one had a choice but to eat food that was grown with pesticide and herbicides.  This "organic" thing is fairly new.  Then, there is a misconception about all of that as well.  The only way to know it's totally organic is to grow it and eat it yourself.  I suspect folks ate fresh produce then so all the hoopla is mind boggling to me.

Finally, my point is: vermin and cats in stores  have nothing to do with the use of pesticides.  what don't you understand?

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

@nana59

I guess so if you like pesticides and rodent controll products in your veggies  Smiley Wink

how about cat hair and dander-that also sounds very appealing....

Honored Contributor

Wild cats (feral cats, barn cats) will kill mice for food. 

But they aren't the big fat ones lazing on the counters of the Peanut Shack with the owners expecting you to pet them or at least tell them how pretty they are.  (Chances are, they're not...lol)

Those spoiled ones *may* kill a mouse for shicks and giggles, or just let it run around with half it's intestines pulled out.  Cozy creatures, cats are, aren't they?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Wild cats (feral cats, barn cats) will kill mice for food. 

But they aren't the big fat ones lazing on the counters of the Peanut Shack with the owners expecting you to pet them or at least tell them how pretty they are.  (Chances are, they're not...lol)

Those spoiled ones *may* kill a mouse for shicks and giggles, or just let it run around with half it's intestines pulled out.  Cozy creatures, cats are, aren't they?

This is true @Lucky Charm.  Not all cats will kill mice.  I think folks need to take this into consideration.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I am highly allergic to cats and some dogs...

Where I buy my food should not be shared with other people's animals...ever

I saw someone's animal "use the floor" as it's bathroom let's say...

Really makes you want to continue your shopping...

Honored Contributor

I applaud you, @gidgetgh, for both standing your ground and doing it with grace. I knew before I opened this thread what you would be in for.

I am one who does not want dogs, cats, etc. in grocery markets. In fact, I don't think they are allowed in conventional supermarkets unless they are service dogs, at least here.

But now people get around that by claiming that their pet is a "comfort" dog. Just a few days ago I saw a woman with a dog in the market. Now, this was such a large dog that she had to put him in her shopping cart. I'd never seen anything like that before. It was a gorgeous big fluffy dog. But it didn't belong there.

And to whoever said that they prefer animals in such places rather than kids. well, that kind of comparison always grates on me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh. Your money, right money is dirty. Dirty hands all over it. Better wear gloves.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Gosh................simple solution...............

WASH your produce before eatiing!!!!!!!!        

no more problem....................

.if you are so allergic that you cannot shop there then shop somewhere else......they do not need your $ 

What makes you feel so impt!!!!!

What makes you so rude?

And just how do you know this?   Businesses like that do need customers.    

You can't get a peanut on an airplane because of the 'dust'  Also everything has to have a warning about it.   Kids can't even bring peanutbutter sandwiches to school.   Pet dander is no different.   Everytime someone wants to pet the dog/cat/whatever, it's no different than peanuts to people who are allergic.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Gosh................simple solution...............

WASH your produce before eatiing!!!!!!!!        

no more problem....................

.if you are so allergic that you cannot shop there then shop somewhere else......they do not need your $ 

What makes you feel so impt!!!!!

What makes you so rude?

And just how do you know this?   Businesses like that do need customers.    

You can't get a peanut on an airplane because of the 'dust'  Also everything has to have a warning about it.   Kids can't even bring peanutbutter sandwiches to school.   Pet dander is no different.   Everytime someone wants to pet the dog/cat/whatever, it's no different than peanuts to people who are allergic.

@debicPet dander is different.  Kids with peanut allergies can easily die from contact with peanut butter.

I am allergic to cats and have asthma, but I've never heard of anyone keeling over from being in the same bookstore as a cat.