Honored Contributor

Re: Animals in stores that sell food- your thoughts?

I'm not a fan of any animal in a store that sells food.  I.e. cat, dog, cow, fly, etc.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann:

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

The allergy thing doesn't bother anyone at all?  I guess if it doesn't affect you then it couldn't possibly be a problem or an area of discomfort for anyone else. 

I appreciate the comments, even the condescending (and expected) ones. 

I freely admit that I don't care for cats. I don't have experience with them because I can't spend much time around them. I'm wary of them.  But I would never hurt anyone's cat and if you love your cat, then I'm happy for you. All pets should be loved by their family. 

But I'll be equal opportunity here so others can hate me also.  If it were certain breeds of dogs (and I like most dogs) I wouldn't even pull in the parking lot.  There you have it. 

I know how we get food. My grandfather was a farmer and I'm also pretty smart. No, I don't think all of our foods are sanitary. I just don't like cats roaming around in stores or restaurants or farmers markets while I'm there spending my money.  I'm entitled to feel that way. And as several of you have pointed out (some more than once) if it's that big a deal, then I shouldn't shop there.  And you're exactly right. 

Your allergy issue doesn't bother me at all, correct. Your allergy issue is your problem, and dealing with it is your responsibility, the same as for the rest of the world. A business certainly shouldn't have to change its practices because one small, easily ignored feature inconveniences or displeases you. 

You think people are HATING YOU here? Are you kidding me? This is a civil, courteous discussion of the issues you raised. The only thing approaching "hatred" seems to be your feeling for cats. You surely knew how that was likely to go down before you posted. Not well.

I also don't see condescension in the replies. And if the responses you got were "expected," why do you have any problem with them, anyway?

You really don't have the right to lay this stuff on us. We're responding to you honestly and fairly, you don't like much of the feedback, and you're responding with hostility and name-calling. This is the kind of thing that generates unhappiness and ill will on the forums. It's not necessary and it's not right.

@noodleann- yes, I kind of WAS kidding (joking) about the hating me thing. I saw that my discomfort with the cats wasn't going well (which I expected) and figured it I added dogs into the mix.....  So yes, I was kind of joking with that. 

Reaction to something posted always lies with how the reader interprets the written word. It's always difficult with things written because you can't feel the tone or inflection that the person writing meant (or didn't mean). 

I'm sorry that I ever brought up this cat thing. Seriously. I've been on these boards for years and the cat posts never go well, along with posts about the Olive Garden, canned soups and other controversial topics. Next time I'll know better and realize that no one cares at all about my allergies and thoughts on certain subjects. 

Please everyone, just move on now and enjoy your Sunday. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I'm not a fan of any animal in a store that sells food.  I.e. cat, dog, cow, fly, etc.

@GCR18- cows??!!   Now, that's a cute response!  

I'd be ok with April the giraffe in the store with me so maybe I need to rethink my position on this, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

The allergy thing doesn't bother anyone at all?  I guess if it doesn't affect you then it couldn't possibly be a problem or an area of discomfort for anyone else. 

I appreciate the comments, even the condescending (and expected) ones. 

I freely admit that I don't care for cats. I don't have experience with them because I can't spend much time around them. I'm wary of them.  But I would never hurt anyone's cat and if you love your cat, then I'm happy for you. All pets should be loved by their family. 

But I'll be equal opportunity here so others can hate me also.  If it were certain breeds of dogs (and I like most dogs) I wouldn't even pull in the parking lot.  There you have it. 

I know how we get food. My grandfather was a farmer and I'm also pretty smart. No, I don't think all of our foods are sanitary. I just don't like cats roaming around in stores or restaurants or farmers markets while I'm there spending my money.  I'm entitled to feel that way. And as several of you have pointed out (some more than once) if it's that big a deal, then I shouldn't shop there.  And you're exactly right. 

Your allergy issue doesn't bother me at all, correct. Your allergy issue is your problem, and dealing with it is your responsibility, the same as for the rest of the world. A business certainly shouldn't have to change its practices because one small, easily ignored feature inconveniences or displeases you. 

You think people are HATING YOU here? Are you kidding me? This is a civil, courteous discussion of the issues you raised. The only thing approaching "hatred" seems to be your feeling for cats. You surely knew how that was likely to go down before you posted. Not well.

I also don't see condescension in the replies. And if the responses you got were "expected," why do you have any problem with them, anyway?

You really don't have the right to lay this stuff on us. We're responding to you honestly and fairly, you don't like much of the feedback, and you're responding with hostility and name-calling. This is the kind of thing that generates unhappiness and ill will on the forums. It's not necessary and it's not right.

@noodleann- yes, I kind of WAS kidding (joking) about the hating me thing. I saw that my discomfort with the cats wasn't going well (which I expected) and figured it I added dogs into the mix.....  So yes, I was kind of joking with that. 

Reaction to something posted always lies with how the reader interprets the written word. It's always difficult with things written because you can't feel the tone or inflection that the person writing meant (or didn't mean). 

I'm sorry that I ever brought up this cat thing. Seriously. I've been on these boards for years and the cat posts never go well, along with posts about the Olive Garden, canned soups and other controversial topics. Next time I'll know better and realize that no one cares at all about my allergies and thoughts on certain subjects. 

Please everyone, just move on now and enjoy your Sunday. 

::deletes post about soup::

::sigh::

Smiley Sad

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

cat is probably a more effective way

shop cats are cute

Honored Contributor

Then it's just going to be a deal-breaker for you, and you'll have to stop shopping there - or anywhere you see a cat. 

Dogs are okay in a food store but not cats? Allergy protestations aside, you clearly dislike cats specifically as a species, over and above any "allergy", by your OP.

Stop shopping where there are "shop/store cats" and no more problem. But don't expect any shop owner to get rid of the cats because a customer wants them to.

Cats kill vermin. In a food environment, having a cat around to kill mice and rats is a very desirable thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

My husband and I like to buy our vegetables at a local smallish, family owned, farmer's market type place. It's a metal building so it's all inside. The plants they sell are outside. We've been going there for years. 

The last several times we've gone (5-6) they've had a cat there....inside.  It wanders around, amongst the food and the customers. The cat seems very friendly, but I, in no way, shape or form, am interested in having a cat wandering around with open bins of vegetables. 

I don't want to make this into a cat issue, but I'm severely allergic to them. Can't be around them at all. And they seem to sense my disinterest and they flock to me like a homing pigeon.  It's a real turnoff to me to be honest. 

A few years ago, we went into our local bird seed store. When we walked in, a cat was sitting on a bag of bird seed. It then proceeded to jump up on the counter by the cash register. 

When we went to pay, I couldn't even put my purchases on the counter. The cat had since moved, but I wasn't interested in getting cat hair on me because I'd have to go home and change. 

Anyway....thoughts on this?  The bird seed store sometimes has a dog there and I'm ok with that, but a cat amongst the food, especially at the farmer's market is getting to be a deal breaker to me. 

My thoughts are I would find another place to shop. Like yourself @gidgetgh cats give me allergies and I get asthma when I am near them. I remember how much I wanted one as a child. My first encounter was with a stray that lived outside my uncle's farm. I was 5 and bent down to pet it. I received two large bites on my cheek. After that, to this day, I have a stupid fear of cats...one which I have never really gotten over. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there other ways to control rodents?

@nana59

I guess so if you like pesticides and rodent controll products in your veggies  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I agree that the cats are likely there to keep rodents away from the food…I know for a fact that is true for feed stores.  It is often true for outdoor restaurants, too.  I feel for you with your allergies – that adds a whole new factor to the situation for you. 

I am a real animal lover and normally appreciate seeing pets around.  However, lately I have encountered pets in medical settings – not service animal but people just brining their pets along to the appointment.  Also, my past dentist used to bring several of her large dogs to the office with her and I would feel this cold nose on my leg when I was tipped back in the dental chair being “worked on”.  Initially I had no idea what it was and I was totally freaked by the experience.  Once I knew it was her dogs roaming around, I thought it was unsanitary as well as not courteous to her customers.  At least she did not have pet snakes roaming the place!  I went to a really good acupuncturist and when I came out from my treatment there were several small dogs in the waiting room with their humans.  I never when back.  I know a senior lady whose husband was in the hospital and she just walked their old English sheep dog right into that hospital and up to his room every time she visited him.  It would seem to me health standards would not allow animals in some of these settings.

As much as l love animals, I do agree there are times and places they do not belong.  I think the cats do serve a functional purpose in the situations you described, but I totally understand when you are allergic it can be a serious problem for you.   

@Havarti  It is a PROVEN fact that when very sick or dying people get a visit from their own pet or a theraphy animal ,they live longer or die happy........I applaud this practice  Smiley Happy