Honored Contributor

Animal Shelter recruits Pokemon Go players

Great idea!

You’ve probably seen squads of Pokemon GO players wandering your neighborhood like a scene from The Walking Dead lately, but even if you’re a player without a group of friends, you don’t have to Pokemon GO it alone. The Muncie Animal Shelter in Muncie, Indiana found a clever way of appealing to Pokemon trainers while helping their dogs get exercise at the same time. They’re calling for people to walk shelter dogs while they play the game.

After putting the call out on Facebook, Pokemon GO players from miles away drove to the shelter to walk the “Pokemon dogs” while playing searching for ‘mon and racking up kilometers to hatch Pokemon eggs. The shelter is hoping that this will not only help their dogs get exercise, but that they’ll retain some new volunteers and that some of the dogs will be matched with prospective owners.

If you don’t live anywhere near Muncie, there’s another way you can help dogs while playing Pokemon GO. WoofTrax has an app called Walk for a Dog that tracks your walk and donates to an animal rescue organization of your choosing. You can run the app while you play Pokemon GO. Play the game, have fun, and support an awesome cause that saves dogs in the process!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

Re: Animal Shelter recruits Pokemon Go players

well thats making something good out of a bad thing. but they better pay attention to thier dog..

Honored Contributor

What a great idea and how nice!

Thank you for sharing this, IG Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter told me about it the other day, she even double checked that it was legit. Some of the local stores here and also doing promotions to invlte players to come into the store and play. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

What a great idea and how nice!

Thank you for sharing this, IG Smiley Happy

@Noel7

Hi there Noel! Long time no chat with!Heart

Hope you're doing well!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I am a volunteer at an aminal shelter and we are not permitted to bring our phones when we walk the dogs. I find this somewhat surprising because you need to pay attention to the dog.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

I am a volunteer at an aminal shelter and we are not permitted to bring our phones when we walk the dogs. I find this somewhat surprising because you need to pay attention to the dog.

That's understandable, in which case the app mentioned in the last paragraph, the WoofTrax app, Walk For a Dog, is a good option, since it doesn't involve walking a shelter dog, yet it donates $$ to a shelter of your choice.

Every little bit helps a homeless animal!

Trusted Contributor

Our local childrens hospital is asking people to come by and place "lures"...whtever that means for the kids there now. It seems to be a big hit.

My son is going over this afternoon and plant a few. LOL

Respected Contributor

Kudos to people trying to make a crazy

fad into a good thing!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Isn't it mostly teen-agers playing this game?  I can see where turning dogs of unknown habits and disposition over them could have disastrous results.  This would involve taking them out among other dogs and people; what happens when a huge dogfight ensues?  Or one of these dogs bites someone because it wasn't properly leashed?  While well-meaning, teens often don't exercise great judgment.  Seems as though a municipality would assume a huge liability.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment