Honored Contributor

Animal/Photo Lovers - Sartore's Photo Ark

Brief backstory:

There is a world-reknowned wildlife photographer named Joel Sartore who has done a lot of work for Nat Geo over the years. His "mission" is to photograph a every existing animal species in his lifetime, especially endangered ones. He has so far taken approx 6,000 photos - half of the estimated 12,000 species. He's now "sponsored" by Nat Geo so he can keep going.

He has his first large format book of ark photos coming out March 7th. Many people have been waiting for this. He loves to do "portraits" like this:

IMG_0437.JPG

My point? I was going to order from Sartore's website, which was in my FB feed. Although I'm a Prime member and buy from Amazon constantly, I didn't immediately think of Amazon for this book, as I thought his website & Nat Geo might be the only places to purchase it. I was on Amazon for something else & looked it up - HALF the list price I was happily about to pay, plus of course Prime shipping.

So if anyone is interested in this book (if you google you'll get many sample photographs), buy it from Amazon, not Sartore's website. $17 is a big saving IMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Re: Animal/Photo Lovers - Sartore's Photo Ark

Beautiful photos!

Thanks @Moonchilde!

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, @AuberriJean!

I've been seeing his photos he posts randomly for awhile, and they've kind of been teasers for me. I had wondered if/when a book was coming.

The photos of certain animals he's able to get, where they just about look like human portraits, really do affect me. I just keep thinking "wow!"

Esteemed Contributor

missednoahsark.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @pattypeep - my kind of humor ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

What a wonderful project.  I went to his website to look at some of his work.  The photo you posted is amazing, so human-like.   I’m in awe of photographers that get these kinds of photos.  Thanks for sharing the information about him. 

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

What a wonderful project.  I went to his website to look at some of his work.  The photo you posted is amazing, so human-like.   I’m in awe of photographers that get these kinds of photos.  Thanks for sharing the information about him. 

You're welcome :-)

It was definitely his portrait photos that drew me in when I first became aware of his work and the Ark. I've always been fascinated by primates. When I go to the zoo I make a bee-line to the gorillas and orangutans. 

One of his "points" is that we have more in common with animals than you might think, and his photos help show that, and get people to relate and want to help in conservation.