Honored Contributor

Re: Angelina Jolie Files for Divorce from Brad Pitt

@Pearlee wrote:

Excellent columnist's assessment of Angelina Jolie. It's long but well worth a read:

http://nypost.com/2016/09/25/jolie-exposes-her-rebel-turned-saint-myth-by-trashing-pitt/

Thanks for this @Pearlee.  When I read the house she and the children are staying in in Malibu was rented by her three weeks ago, she knew she was going to sandbag Brad and I guess I had forgotten she had accused BBT of many of the same things when she dumped him as I didn't have a very hard time believing them.

How sad for the kids.

Honored Contributor

Gee, the author of the NY Post article couldn't get in enough slams at successful women, it seems.

"As a pre-millennial starlet, Jolie was unlike any of her peers. She was in stark opposition to the arch, cosmopolitan WASP-iness of Gwyneth Paltrow, who was then engaged to Pitt. She made Winona Ryder’s eccentric darkness seem purely adolescent. Drew Barrymore, with her trauma, her drug use and mid-20s marriage spree, could not compare."

Honored Contributor

I still say that we can speculate all day long about the breakup and will still be wrong. I wish them well and really do hope that everything works out. Since both Angelina and Brad are over forty, I don't think it's fair to bring up what they did or didn't do twenty or more years ago.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Valued Contributor

Excellent skip down memory lane this fine Sunday afternoon-Thank you for the link @Pearlee

Angelina lacks the integrity to truthfully explain the dissemination of her family's public life to her children-or her own roll in their disintegration-with full disclosure to them, or anyone else, based in honesty-

JMHO

And for those with an interest, another couple of blurbs:

"In 2015, sources claimed Pitt was the one who'd had enough of Jolie's alleged bad habits. "For a while, the excitement of getting married masked their troubles," an insider told OK! Magazine (via Hollywood Life), "but lately, they've been having explosive fights. Neither of them is sure that they can or should, hang on anymore. [Jolie] barely eats, she guzzles wine every night, and she smokes constantly…Brad's just exhausted from spending so much energy trying to get her to take better care of herself. It's been hard to watch the woman he loves waste away."

"It's particularly troubling that Jolie would allegedly neglect her health after having a double mastectomy and removing both her ovaries to prevent cancer. The stress involved in overcoming those obstacles could strain any marriage, let alone one between two people who already have a lot of fundamental disagreements and scheduling pressures."

Read More: http://www.nickiswift.com/25177/really-went-wrong-brad-angelina/s/her-health/?utm_campaign=clip

But wait, there's more:

"Jolie admitted to Marie Claire in 2012 (via the Daily Mail) that she doesn't have friends, female or otherwise, leading her to rely predominantly on Pitt for any sort of adult interactions outside of work conversations.”I'll talk to my family. I talk to Brad…But I don't know, I don't have a lot of friends I talk to. He is really the only person I talk to." She added, "Brad has expanded my life in ways I never imagined. We built a family. He is not just the love of my life, he is my family. I hold that very dear. I suppose what I've learned from Brad is to be able to have the kind of family whose happiness and well-being comes before your own. I'm very, very grateful to have such a loving family, and I wouldn't have that without him." That's a lot of responsibility for one guy, isn't it?

It seems like she wants Pitt to join her in their isolated bubble. Radar Online reports that Jolie resents his friendships with other stars, notably Edward Norton. "Angelina has always thought Ed's a shallow underachiever who brings out the immature side of Brad, and she's not impressed by his wife," a source said. "It's something Brad's tried to reason with her about over and over, but she's knocked him back time and again, saying these people aren't good enough for them."

Read More: http://www.nickiswift.com/25177/really-went-wrong-brad-angelina/s/her-lack-of-friends-and-judgment-o...

Very sad for the children-

Valued Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I still say that we can speculate all day long about the breakup and will still be wrong. I wish them well and really do hope that everything works out. Since both Angelina and Brad are over forty, I don't think it's fair to bring up what they did or didn't do twenty or more years ago.

To a great extent, I agree with your thoughts-However, in many cases these things untreated, alcoholism, drug addiction, eating disorders, mental illness, no mater what it may be, shapes who and what we are-the decisions we make, how we live and treat others.

Respectfully, the conversation seems fair to me-

I genuinely hope they all receive whatever help is needed to live healthy, joyful lives together...I don't think that exists for them.....

Enjoy today....

(forgive typos, hurried)

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Gee, the author of the NY Post article couldn't get in enough slams at successful women, it seems.

"As a pre-millennial starlet, Jolie was unlike any of her peers. She was in stark opposition to the arch, cosmopolitan WASP-iness of Gwyneth Paltrow, who was then engaged to Pitt. She made Winona Ryder’s eccentric darkness seem purely adolescent. Drew Barrymore, with her trauma, her drug use and mid-20s marriage spree, could not compare."

@Noel7  Not to mention "the WASP-iness of Gwyneth Paltrow" is inaccurate, since her father, Bruce Paltrow, was Jewish (OK, her mother wasn't but that just counts under Jewish law).  From Wiki:

"Paltrow was born in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Dorothy (née Weigert) and Arnold Paltrow.[2] He was a first cousin of Spencer J. Giffords, father of American politician and member of the United States House of Representatives Gabrielle Giffords. His family was of Eastern European Jewish descent;[3] they lived in Minsk. His paternal great-grandfather, whose surname was "Paltrowicz", was a rabbi in Nowogród, Poland.."

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Well, after all, it IS the NY Post .... and hardly what anyone would ever call a balanced article.

Valued Contributor

The NY Post article-is after all, published in the “entertainment” section…there is nothing reported in that article that has not been verified by numerous previous articles in so called “reputable” publications-It’s a newspaper article in an entertainment section, fair game, any subject goes. Responsible facts are still required for publication.

However, I don’t believe the NYP (s) “waspy-ness” reference was intended to be taken literally, but metaphorically -

Even though, thoughtfully speaking, I’ve actually had the opportunity to meet Gwyneth Paltrow-and believe her to be a rather interesting, albeit peculiar sort of woman (from this posters view) to say the least, she is a bit of a contradiction to her public image.

And yes, while her lineage may denote her ancestry-It’s no secret she herself, has put a great deal of time into attempting to project the image referenced in the article-

Respected Contributor

I loved Drew Barrymore in "A Hundred First Dates."  I really did........

Valued Contributor

This is a great thread. The Brad/Angie story is very interesting and this thread is a good read.