Honored Contributor

Re: Andy Spade speaks after his wife, Kate’s death

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

What was said immediately, ‘in error’, that Andy is correcting?

What I heard on the news is basically the same thing Andy just released.

@sidsmom

The Kansas City Star reported:

"Kate Spade, a fashion designer known for her sleek handbags, was found hanged in the bedroom of her Park Avenue apartment Tuesday in an apparent suicide, law enforcement officials said.

The 55-year-old was found by housekeeping at about 10:20 a.m. Her husband and business partner Andy Spade was in the house at the time. It's not clear how long she had been dead and the medical examiner will perform an autopsy.

The couple's 13-year-old daughter was at school and officials said a note was found at the scene telling her it was not her fault. The officials were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity."

I'm not sure what it means that Andy was "in the house at the time."  When I first read this, I assumed he was in the same place she was.  Now, he seems to be saying they lived apart and I guess she was in the apartment and he was in a house somewhere else??  But why would the article phrase it as it did?  Why wouldn't they say - her daughter was at school and her husband was somewhere else also?  "In the house at the time" sure sounds to me like he was in the next room or something.

Her sister is saying that Kate was bi-polar and was NOT being treated or taking medication - due to concerns that this would affect her business (which was all about lightheartedness and happiness.)  That also seems odd.

It also seems odd to me that she would choose to hang herself with a scarf.

His statement:

“...we saw each other or spoke every day.”

So yes, they lived apart, but he could’ve been in the same address at the time of her discovery.  His statement didn’t clarify if he was/want there. 

If Andy made the 911 call, it would be logical to assume he was there.

His statement, albeit very heartfelt as a grieving husband would be, 

didn’t reveal anything we didn’t already know. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

What was said immediately, ‘in error’, that Andy is correcting?

What I heard on the news is basically the same thing Andy just released.

@sidsmom

The Kansas City Star reported:

"Kate Spade, a fashion designer known for her sleek handbags, was found hanged in the bedroom of her Park Avenue apartment Tuesday in an apparent suicide, law enforcement officials said.

The 55-year-old was found by housekeeping at about 10:20 a.m. Her husband and business partner Andy Spade was in the house at the time. It's not clear how long she had been dead and the medical examiner will perform an autopsy.

The couple's 13-year-old daughter was at school and officials said a note was found at the scene telling her it was not her fault. The officials were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity."

I'm not sure what it means that Andy was "in the house at the time."  When I first read this, I assumed he was in the same place she was.  Now, he seems to be saying they lived apart and I guess she was in the apartment and he was in a house somewhere else??  But why would the article phrase it as it did?  Why wouldn't they say - her daughter was at school and her husband was somewhere else also?  "In the house at the time" sure sounds to me like he was in the next room or something.

Her sister is saying that Kate was bi-polar and was NOT being treated or taking medication - due to concerns that this would affect her business (which was all about lightheartedness and happiness.)  That also seems odd.

It also seems odd to me that she would choose to hang herself with a scarf.

His statement:

“...we saw each other or spoke every day.”

So yes, they lived apart, but he could’ve been in the same address at the time of her discovery.  His statement didn’t clarify if he was/want there. 

If Andy made the 911 call, it would be logical to assume he was there.

His statement, albeit very heartfelt as a grieving husband would be, 

didn’t reveal anything we didn’t already know. 

@sidsmom  The KC article says the maid found her and called 911.  If he was there, she certainly would have told him as well.  And why then would he say he "has yet to see any note left behind..."  If the police found it, why wouldn't he have seen it first?  It would have had to be near the body - I doubt the police would have searched the apartment to find its hiding place.

Another article says the note said it wasn't her daughter's fault - to ask her father.  So what does that mean?  That he should explain about her illness?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer

If Andy was in his residence in a different location,

the police could’ve easily been at Kate’s location

well before he got there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It may well mean that @Isobel Archer. Andy's step father committed suicide as well. She might feel he would be the best person to explain, that her mother just lost the ability to keep fighting

I wouldn't read anything sinister into it at all. Who better to explain things than the other parent?

They have å long dark journey ahead and I hope people have the generosity of spirit to help  them cope  on their  way.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Isobel Archer

If Andy was in his residence in a different location,

the police could’ve easily been at Kate’s location

well before he got there.

OK I certainly get that.  I just can't get over the article saying he was "in the house at the time."  That is very odd phrasing to describe someone being at a different location "at the time."

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

It's no surprise the media has been following this story. Kate Spade was a celebrity, she lived in the public eye, had an enormous amount of fans, followers, and admirers of both her talent and her work. If I had killed myself I guarantee the media would not be knocking on people's doors to get the story and report on every news channel. We've discussed it here in depth regarding other celebrities who complain about having to trade privacy for fame. Like it or not it's reality.

Right, or wrong, people are interested in what causes a woman who seemingly had it all to take her own life. Apparently things are not always as they seem, especially in the privacy of one's own home.

Yes, it's a shame that Andy had to come out with a statement regarding his truth about Kate's suicide but that's another reality set in motion by someone who was obviously suffering a great deal. It also sounds from the statement he gave he's a grieving spouse who's still in denial regarding the severity of Kate's depression. The problem with celebrity is it's not a faucet that can be turned on when it benefits and turned off when tragedy strikes. It's a bit of a two-edged sword. 

Perfectly said.

Honored Contributor

This morning I saw on MSN or Huffington Post that Kate Spade's husband asked for a divorce.

Respected Contributor

Sadly, we may never know when someone we love is tormented and pained to the point of suicide. Life is harsh, hoping she has found her peace.

Unfortunately, everyday her family now faces questions that may never be answered.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

This morning I saw on MSN or Huffington Post that Kate Spade's husband asked for a divorce.

The article I saw saying the note said to "ask daddy" also said that he'd just asked for a divorce and that may be what sent her over the edge.  It could all be speculation.  But it could also explain his need to make this statement.

I've also read three additional accounts of this which say more clearly that investigators said he was in her apartment (one even providing the address) when she died.

This makes his statement that he last talked to her the night before odd as well.

Honored Contributor

I hope everyone just leaves this family alone and lets them grieve in peace.