Honored Contributor

Re: I can't help but think this is an attorney talking to est...

The media no longer has any integrity. It has no limits or scruples whatsoever now...and is completely unaccountable.....it doesn't care who it hurts or whose lives it destroys. Social media? Even worse. Thank you...I feel better now....😎

Honored Contributor

Re: Andy Spade speaks after his wife, Kate’s death

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

It's no surprise the media has been following this story. Kate Spade was a celebrity, she lived in the public eye, had an enormous amount of fans, followers, and admirers of both her talent and her work. If I had killed myself I guarantee the media would not be knocking on people's doors to get the story and report on every news channel. We've discussed it here in depth regarding other celebrities who complain about having to trade privacy for fame. Like it or not it's reality.

Right, or wrong, people are interested in what causes a woman who seemingly had it all to take her own life. Apparently things are not always as they seem, especially in the privacy of one's own home.

Yes, it's a shame that Andy had to come out with a statement regarding his truth about Kate's suicide but that's another reality set in motion by someone who was obviously suffering a great deal. It also sounds from the statement he gave he's a grieving spouse who's still in denial regarding the severity of Kate's depression. The problem with celebrity is it's not a faucet that can be turned on when it benefits and turned off when tragedy strikes. It's a bit of a two-edged sword. 

@SusieQ_2

What was the untruth that was being told before his statement?

I’m not inciting anything...I really want to know.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom, I think the husband is denying that Kate was abusing alcohol. I also think he (or other family members?) are saying Kate and her sister, Reta, hadn't spoken in years. Although, considering she hid the severity of her depression from him so well as we read in his statement, and they weren't even living together, it's pretty conceivable there were other things she may have hidden as well. Other than that I have no idea. 

eta ~ This is just my personal opinion but from the statement I also get the feeling he may be suffering from survivor's guilt. He seems to be trying to justify his place and role in her life as "always being there for her" and being her best friend. Of course I can't know for sure but I imagine he's feeling hurt about the speculation that he wanted out of the marriage. To me it's understandable that he feels the need to let people know he cared. Again, jmo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As the parent of  children, I don't blame him one bit. He has a child to consider, and is probably trying to protect her, from as much uglyness as possible

Its a pity  press people don't take the feelings of a 13 year old into consideration when they print things.

Respected Contributor

Death is hard enough for someone to deal with but suicide is even harder. I think it is a shame that the media jumps in with false information when it is a celebrity without any consideration for the family at all. It is even worse when there are children involved. This is a tragedy and very sad on every level. Prayers for her family and may she RIP.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@sidsmom, I think the husband is denying that Kate was abusing alcohol. I also think he (or other family members?) are saying Kate and her sister, Reta, hadn't spoken in years. Although, considering she hid the severity of her depression from him so well as we read in his statement, and they weren't even living together, it's pretty conceivable there were other things she may have hidden as well. Other than that I have no idea. 

Thanks for the explanation.

I watched cable news off/on yesterday about her death and

I don’t recall anyone citing alcoholism or family discord...

so that’s why I was questioning his statement to

“set things right” (my words). 

Honored Contributor

I am proud to have quite a few of her handbags and wore an off white one proudly today.  I saw another woman with one in the grocery store.  Women everywhere were proudly wearing their Kate Spade bags.  Rest in Peace, Kate. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

He's trying to exonerate himself, what best friend/caring husband moves out? Why blame the media for their lack of concern for the daughter's feelings when her own mother disregarded her feelings when she abandoned her? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

He's trying to exonerate himself, what best friend/caring husband moves out? Why blame the media for their lack of concern for the daughter's feelings when her own mother disregarded her feelings when she abandoned her? 

It's so easy to sit back on our high horse and give judgment on a person that none of us knew personally but it's so easy for some isn't it @occasionalrain?

Kate Spade has suffered with depression just about all of her life.

She and her husband were together for over thirty plus years.

Relationships do fail or at times require time apart to heal.

None of us walked in the shoes of Kate or were familiar with what she did or did not cope with day to day.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Thinking about that poor little girl who just lost her mother in a horrible way, it made me think of Melissa Rivers, who lost her father to suicide in the public eye.  I hope that the father reaches out to others (or they to him) to help the daughter with her grief.

Regardless, I think children will somehow blame themselves, like many do when their parents divorce.

No one knows what went on with their marriage, except for them, but it must be very difficult to be married to someone who is dealing with depression long term.

I hope he gets the help he needs as well.

As someone mentioned earlier about wearing their Kate Spade bag, I think I will dig mine out to help celebrate her life and what she was able to accomplish during her short life.  She sure created some beautiful things.

......You look like I need a drink.....