Respected Contributor

Re: And we have another cruise issue

CDC is now recommending people over 60 stay home.

CDC: Americans over 60 should stock up on food and medications and stay home as the coronavirus spreads

People who are over 60 years old, as well as those with underlying health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and lung disease, are most vulnerable to getting sick or even dying from the novel coronavirus, and should take particularly precautions to help protect themselves, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a media briefing Monday.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I just returned from my hematologist appointment this morning.  My doctor is very renowned and works at a large hospital.  I told him I was planning on a cruise this weekend but needed his advice on this trip.  He told me that he thought it would be fine for me to go but use the necessary precautions that would be used during the flu season.   He gave me some signs to watch for and to call if I needed anything from him.  DH and I plan on going unless the cruise line cancels.  We don't want to live our lives in fear but realize we have to be responsible for our own health.

@Hoovermom  I'm just curious and if you don't mind me asking are over the age of 60? Only reason I ask is because I just saw on the news from the CDC stating that anyone over the age of 60 should NOT go to any large gatherings or be in confined spaces (cruises, airplanes for an extended period, etc)

They were stating that it was NOT advised unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm sorry, but a CRUISE isn't absolutely necessary imo. I've never been on one, but I have no desire to either even if I could afford it. Anyways, please make the right decision for you and your DH. I'm sorry, but I would NOT listen to my dr in this situation. Period. He might not be aware of the current advisory. 

@BrandiDavis :  Thank you for your concern.  My doctor is very prominent in his field and mentioned all of the precautions.  I am listening to him because he saved my life years ago.  We talked about it today and how far I have come.  He knows Dr. Fauci and we discussed his recommendations.  Again, I am trusting my doctor.  I believe you left off part of the CDC's suggestion was for people over 60 WHO HAD CHRONIC health issues should ....................................

I heard reports today that they are now saying all people over 60, regardlesss of the chronic health issues, or not.

That is exactly what I had heard, I do know INITIALLY they were saying over 60 with underlying health problems, but they've now changed that to ANYONE over the age of 60...I was just looking out for you, but it sounds like you've got a plan and you're sticking to it, so I wish you the best. Stay safe. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Respected Contributor

Princess is suspending cruises until 5/10; Viking is cancelling until 5/1

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

Princess is suspending cruises until 5/10; Viking is cancelling until 5/1

Princess canceled their cruises only after the Broward Health Dept. (run by the state) finally let it out rather quietly that over half a million people who have embarked and disembarked from cruises or come here as a destination port have been hanging around this county for weeks.  

Tomorrow maybe they'll admit that counting the spring breakers and other tourists it will be several million.

What of all the servers and drivers and cooks and hotel workers and mall workers (the largest mall in Florida is here and believe it or not it's a huge tourist destination) and everyone else. 

This is a 100% tourist service economy here. Incredibly Disney World is still open.

It was quietly announced last night that a Broward EMT has come down with it because he attended an EMT convention in Tampa.  How many other paramedics at that convention have it.

Sure, most people recover but meanwhile they spread it.

All the elderly in Florida and the state is putting tourist dollars over lives.  And if Princess it took Dr. Fauci and a PR disaster to get Princess and now others to cancel.

Esteemed Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I just returned from my hematologist appointment this morning.  My doctor is very renowned and works at a large hospital.  I told him I was planning on a cruise this weekend but needed his advice on this trip.  He told me that he thought it would be fine for me to go but use the necessary precautions that would be used during the flu season.   He gave me some signs to watch for and to call if I needed anything from him.  DH and I plan on going unless the cruise line cancels.  We don't want to live our lives in fear but realize we have to be responsible for our own health.

@Hoovermom  I'm just curious and if you don't mind me asking are over the age of 60? Only reason I ask is because I just saw on the news from the CDC stating that anyone over the age of 60 should NOT go to any large gatherings or be in confined spaces (cruises, airplanes for an extended period, etc)

They were stating that it was NOT advised unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm sorry, but a CRUISE isn't absolutely necessary imo. I've never been on one, but I have no desire to either even if I could afford it. Anyways, please make the right decision for you and your DH. I'm sorry, but I would NOT listen to my dr in this situation. Period. He might not be aware of the current advisory. 

@BrandiDavis :  Thank you for your concern.  My doctor is very prominent in his field and mentioned all of the precautions.  I am listening to him because he saved my life years ago.  We talked about it today and how far I have come.  He knows Dr. Fauci and we discussed his recommendations.  Again, I am trusting my doctor.  I believe you left off part of the CDC's suggestion was for people over 60 WHO HAD CHRONIC health issues should ....................................

I heard reports today that they are now saying all people over 60, regardlesss of the chronic health issues, or not.

That is exactly what I had heard, I do know INITIALLY they were saying over 60 with underlying health problems, but they've now changed that to ANYONE over the age of 60...I was just looking out for you, but it sounds like you've got a plan and you're sticking to it, so I wish you the best. Stay safe. 

I am not disputing that they are saying that anyone over 60, especially those with underlying health conditions, should/need to stay home, but I also know the reality that some won't.

Case in point, I have a co-worker, who is in that demographic, and she almost never stays home even when she is hacking away!

I have spoken to our manager about it, long before this virus came on scene, and my manager said that she was a grown woman, who was capable of making her own decisions, and in fact, she was such a trooper for working when she wasn't feeling 100%, and isn't that admirable?

What can you do when the management does not support doing the right thing, which is to stay home if you don't feel well?

Oh, my co-worker has plenty of sick leave.

How do I know this?

We earn sick leave every week, and she almost never calls out sick.

That's how I know.

I honestly think, even if she had doctor's order to stay home for two weeks, she wouldn't.

I honestly think that she would come in, and spread her germs to everyone.

She doesn't think of other people, nor does she care that she can make them sick, and neither does management.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Lots of economic concerns are to be expected from something like this. We have gotten through a crisis like this before, and hopefully the same will happen with this one. It is a scary time especially for those over 60. Young people often see things differently and I know many are making travel plans because of the price reductions. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have never had a crisis quite like this before.  You're either not an RN or poorly informed.  This virus is spread mostly by healthy people and lives on surfaces longer than any previous virus known and has a death rate now known to be three times higher than the flu and that will go up.

Look at Italy.  Have they been through THIS before?

Spring training here was just canceled.  (ETA:  That's wrong, it's the farm team for one of the big teams that trains here.  Yes I fact-check myself too.  We all should.  And fact-checking again, now it's all canceled anyway, that's how fast things are happening.)  No basketball no figure skating no Olympics not to mention no school no work for many -- have we been through this before?  NO.

Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

Unless the government puts a mandatory restriction on who can travel and/or cruise (which is entirely possible, by the way), @Hoovermom is free to make her own choices about her life.  I hope that you and DH have a wonderful time and stay safe and healthy!

@Linmo :  Thank you so much for those kind words.   It is surprising to me the people who said:

"If the virus deniers and hoaxers all want to cruise together, that's fine by me. At least they'll be isolated and if they get ill, they will be more easy to treat and quarantine. If they weren't cruising, they could be running around thoughtlessly infecting healthy people."

Other people talk about the cruise ships as "floating petri dishes".  They have no idea of how clean those ships are.  They are constantly wiping down staircases, elevators, rooms, floors, bathrooms, you name it.  Maybe they haven't taken the right kind of ship.  Again, thanks for the well wishes.  We shall see if there are mandatory restrictions imposed.  We will obey the law.

I think it's interesting you completely skipped over the information presented from the CDC and State Department that contradicted what you claimed (that only people with health issues should avoid cruising). Hey, no one is going to force you not to travel, but please don't spread false information or downplay this, acting like the quarantine will just be another fun, extended vacation.

At the time I posted, it was correct information.  It has become more fluid, and there are plenty of people updating the recommendations, I opted out.  I am not downplaying anything, and you really don't know me well enough to say that I am treating this like an extended vacation.  I said that we all have to be prepared for our actions, and that means me as well.  You are free to think whatever you want about me, and that is fine. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

I'm all about freedom, per my nic, obviously.  People wanting their cruise and willing to gamble the odds ought to go and I hope all goes well for them and everyone on board.  May the people serving them on the ship not be carriers of this virus and may all luck hold out for everyone.  Personally, I do believe it will be a matter of pure luck after the hard work of cleaning the ship and everyone's efforts, nobody infected.

When all of this blows over, I suppose those who are thorwing caution to the wind will have another war with those who took every precaution, especially if it passes sooner than expected.  I'd so much rather see that than more passengers held hostage to this virus on what they hoped to be wonderful vacations or rolled off on gurneys.

These ships will knock themselves out to keep everyone as safe as possible.  This virus will do everything possible to survive.  Play your hand and good luck.

@Free2be, I've been thinking the same thing, that there will be a gloating-fest. I also welcome that over those people or anyone else getting seriously ill.

@suzyQ3 :  A gloating-fest?  Really?  No we will all be so happy that it contained and people are getting the medical help that they deserve.

@Hoovermom, I've been posting here for eons, and although most people will feel as you do, there will be some who take the "I told you so" route. I would bet on that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

We have never had a crisis quite like this before.  You're either not an RN or poorly informed.  This virus is spread mostly by healthy people and lives on surfaces longer than any previous virus known and has a death rate now known to be three times higher than the flu and that will go up.

Look at Italy.  Have they been through THIS before?

Spring training here was just canceled.  No baseball without spring training.  No basketball no figure skating no Olympics not to mention no school no work for many -- have we been through this before?  NO.

You really need to take a break. No need to worry about my profession or my knowledge of information. You know nothing about either.