Honored Contributor

Re: And we have another cruise issue

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

Princess is suspending cruises until 5/10; Viking is cancelling until 5/1

Princess canceled their cruises only after the Broward Health Dept. (run by the state) finally let it out rather quietly that over half a million people who have embarked and disembarked from cruises or come here as a destination port have been hanging around this county for weeks.  

Tomorrow maybe they'll admit that counting the spring breakers and other tourists it will be several million.

What of all the servers and drivers and cooks and hotel workers and mall workers (the largest mall in Florida is here and believe it or not it's a huge tourist destination) and everyone else. 

This is a 100% tourist service economy here. Incredibly Disney World is still open.

It was quietly announced last night that a Broward EMT has come down with it because he attended an EMT convention in Tampa.  How many other paramedics at that convention have it.

Sure, most people recover but meanwhile they spread it.

All the elderly in Florida and the state is putting tourist dollars over lives.  And if Princess it took Dr. Fauci and a PR disaster to get Princess and now others to cancel.

Princess ships leave out of many, many ports.  I don't believe this had anything to do specifically with what is going on in Broward County.  I think it has more to do with the fact that Princess has had a terrible time with their ships being under quarantine since this all started.  

Disney and Viking also canceled cruises but none of the other major lines have. RCL, NCL, MSC still have ship after ship going out of ports all over the US.  Friday, Saturday and Sunday 5, 6 and 7 ships leave from Miami alone with thousands of people on each ship.  

Port of Baltimore is closed now and Virgin Voyages has moved their maiden voyage to July 15 but for the other lines, it's business as usual.

@Lipstickdiva   Top three cruise ports in America (they switch places inside that top three) are: 

Miami

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale)

and Cape Canaveral. 

As I said they disemark and embark (airports, drivers, hotels, etc.), see relatives (I know a lot of people who see their parents on the way to a cruise, whatever) and are taken to tourist places, two big ones of which are in my city but these people are everywhere and have been.  

There is a regular helicopter service that helicopters people from Port Miami to certain places in Broward.  Possibly vice versa but Miami has even more tourists, an even bigger airport and port.  They both have spring break which ends Sunday.

So no this is not like everyplace else.  The fourth largest cruise port is in Mexico, sometimes that's listed third.

We've been told (very late!) half a million people have been exposed to the infected Port Everglades workers who interacted with people from the ships in the last few weeks.  The peole haev then gone on to stay here,  wander around or travel around here.  Hopefully it doesn't blow up.  Based on what info ha been carefully doled out and the absence of test kits we think iti will blow up, some of the mayors in Miami have tested positive.

And as always it's not about the 97% (or fewer, the mortality rate may go up before it goes back down) it's about the 3-4% they will give it to who won't.   And all the service workers and surfaces they encounter. 

This is a 100% tourist economy/  And you posted elsewhere whether you read or not I don't know but if you did you know the stakes are high in this house.

Honored Contributor

Re: And we have another cruise issue

@Lipstickdiva 

Just to add:  We have been told there are no testing kits, we cannot learn where the patients are being treated because of HIPAA (that's a lie), and worse, we are not to go to our doctors or the ER because we will be risking others.

I wouldn't anyway.  But that's not comforting.  There are problems unique to Florida that begin with no State income tax and a failure of leadeship all around from the very top to the governor to the all-Democratic county commission.