Honored Contributor

Re: And so, the storms have moved in and the fireworks have been cancelled....

I live right outside of D.C. in Virginia.  You know when I was growing up in Alexandria, I could sit in my upstairs window and watch the fireworks in D.C. 

The house I grew up in is still there but with all of the building going on since I was a kid it probably can't be done these days.

Every single year we had to go to D.C. to see the fireworks.  Back then there were a lot of fireworks that went on closer to the ground that you wouldn't see unless you were there to see it.

I dread the day when I have to move closer to where my daughter lives (still in Va but Northern Va) because I don't like it up there. 

This time of year there are so many visitors to the D.C. area it's crazy.  They don't know where they're going and ....well..(like in LA and places)...driving gets crazy and crowded...

I have heard there is a good chance of thunderstorms in the D.C. area this evening.  In Va we always say the only real way you know the weather is to go out and stand in it.  It changes so often.

This week I was coming home from my daughter's (which is only maybe 30-40 minutes away and it was totally dry and as soon as I turned onto my street I could see where we had high winds and severe thunderstorms....just within my few streets!

I have my own weather vane...between my arthritis but mainly my cat Katie she is petrified of storms.  She runs and hides for hours even after it's finished.

The sun can be out and I'll know rain is coming by Katie the weather girl.

Esteemed Contributor

It's storming here in our part of South Carolina.  Loud thunder and rain for the past couple of hours.  Some area firework shows were held the past few days but some are scheduled for tonight--not cancelled yet.  

I hope everyone has a safe and relaxing day. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76  I am amazed you have no rain! Around 1pm, the rain was coming down so hard that drivers were pulling over on 95 because you couldn't see. I was coming up from Silver Spring and hit it around Columbia. UNBELIEVABLE force. Black skies, lightening, thunder...horrible driving. Still happening off and on.

I grew up outside of DC; its amazing how we would have ABC weather and Baltimore would have XYZ weather, lol. Looks like the mess has passed you by!!

Honored Contributor

We are still hangin' in there, Sahmlam.  I know I heard thunder in the distance, despite the shining sun, but my one son said I was hearing firecrackers.

Our weather is heading to being tropical.  Why do I write this?  Because I remember that when I lived in Miami, you could be in a drenching downpour while driving, go two blocks only and there was no evidence of one drop of water.  

This difference between nearby areas in the D.C. area is a new phenomenon, I think.  Last night the weather woman said that Hagerstown and other points to the west were going to get heaviest hit.

A puzzle, that's for sure.

Honored Contributor

Washington DC doesn’t look good...but New York has perfect weather!

5A47671D-4EF6-4902-A00C-65D20AC695CB.jpeg

B52F00FD-7A18-4551-A4A0-09DA5A8BA7F1.jpeg

Valued Contributor

I have gotten where I dread the 4th and New Years.  I am ok with fireworks at a scheduled event,  but the people here think it is perfectly ok to shoot fireworks at midnight and beyond - goes on for a week. My poor dog shakes every time she hears one.  Some of them literally  sound like bombs.

Honored Contributor

I'm surrounded by big fireworks displays. Thankfully, my two dogs don't seem to care.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Hope it doesn't rain on NYC's parade, so to speak.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sahmlam,

What is going on weather-wise in the D.C. Metro Area.  Found this online under WTOP.

‘Heavy downpours probable’ — Heat, storms loom over July Fourth

It’s feeling tropical in the D.C. area on Independence Day, and that means hot, humid weather and hard rains. Storm Team4 meteorologist Matt Ritter said Thursday afternoon that “random” rainfall will continue over the region into the evening.

“It’s definitely not going to be raining everywhere all the time,” he added, but they’ll be slow-moving, with heavy rain, and that’s resulted in some flash flooding in Maryland.

Ritter said at about 2:30 p.m. that Northern Virginia and D.C. would be the most likely spots for new thunderstorms in the next couple of hours, and as if on cue the National Weather Service issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for parts of Montgomery County, in Maryland, and Loudoun and Fairfax counties, in Virginia, until 3:45 p.m. Torrential rains are combined with wind gusts of 60 mph and hail the size of a quarter.

Respected Contributor

I am in northern virginia.  Storms are popping up all around the area but should not jeopardize the fireworks.  Which don’t start till 9.  Haven’t heard an update on the flyovers, but it looks like they will be safe, between 6:30 and 7:30 i think.